Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Male Infant circumcision

Re: Male Infant circumcision

Postby dls » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:27 am

So you are saying that there is no medical justification if you take out all the cases in which medical justification exists - which may be a huge number - see that issue as to HIV transmission.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 am

Of all the reasons for male circumcision I find the religious reasons to be utterly and completely ridiculous. When the religions in question seem to believe that humans are made in God's image, (well men are anyway, God only knows where God got the idea for women from), and the first thing that people of these religions want to do is change that image. Of course, it does also help in making an identifiable 'Us' thus making it easier to look down upon, and even hate, 'Them'.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Postby dls » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:56 am

They are ridiculous reasons if you find the religion (or idea of it) ridiculous. A follower applies the rules of his religion not out of rationality, but out of faith. You can choose not to accept that a a support, but it deserves respct as being what it is.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby megaman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:19 pm

dls wrote:So you are saying that there is no medical justification if you take out all the cases in which medical justification exists - which may be a huge number - see that issue as to HIV transmission.

I am saying that there are many cases where it is not done for medical reasons.
I am also saying that unless it can be shown to be in the child's best interests then it cannot be done lawfully at all (regardless of the presence or absence of medical reasons).

The BMA agree that male circumcision cannot be done lawfully unless it can be shown to be in the child's best interests and that circumcision carry's risks and the medical benefits have not been proven.
https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employmen ... rcumcision - (use download link at bottom of page)

" The medical benefits
previously claimed, however, have not been convincingly
proven, and it is now widely accepted, including by the
BMA, that this surgical procedure has medical and
psychological risks (see section 4.4). It is essential that
doctors perform male circumcision only where this is
demonstrably in the best interests of the child.
The responsibility to demonstrate that non-therapeutic
circumcision is in a particular child’s best interests falls to
his parents. "

The GMC also have similar concenrns
https://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance_circumc ... 416429.pdf

"The legal position is untested in the context of circumcision and therefore remains
unclear. "

"Similarly, while there is a body of opinion that because circumcision has very few
medical benefits, and the potential dangers to the child far outweigh these,
circumcision is inappropriate under any circumstances"

Both of these articles give a balanced evaluation of the matter.
megaman

Postby megaman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:23 pm

dls wrote:They are ridiculous reasons if you find the religion (or idea of it) ridiculous. A follower applies the rules of his religion not out of rationality, but out of faith. You can choose not to accept that a a support, but it deserves respct as being what it is.

Agreed, a person should be aloud to practice any religious acts he wishes no matter how absurd - but only so far as it is a personal and private matter.
as soon as religious practice becomes performing acts on another person it should not be tolerated at all.
megaman

Postby Jinxer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:39 pm

megaman wrote:
dls wrote:They are ridiculous reasons if you find the religion (or idea of it) ridiculous. A follower applies the rules of his religion not out of rationality, but out of faith. You can choose not to accept that a a support, but it deserves respct as being what it is.

Agreed, a person should be aloud to practice any religious acts he wishes no matter how absurd - but only so far as it is a personal and private matter.
as soon as religious practice becomes performing acts on another person it should not be tolerated at all.

I agree with that, there is a big difference to splashing a bit of water on a child's head than to chopping a bit off his privates before he even knows how big it's going to be.
It's ok your children are safe, they're locked away behind barbed wire gates. If you don't comply sir they'll send you another fine sir.
Jinxer

Postby shootist » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:46 pm

dls wrote: A follower applies the rules of his religion not out of rationality, but out of faith. You can choose not to accept that a a support, but it deserves respct as being what it is.

I will not respect any faith precisely because of what it is. To respect all faiths is to respect none. If I was to respect faith it would be with the same respect I accord an extremely poisonous snake.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Postby megaman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:13 pm

shootist wrote:
dls wrote: A follower applies the rules of his religion not out of rationality, but out of faith. You can choose not to accept that a a support, but it deserves respct as being what it is.

I will not respect any faith precisely because of what it is. To respect all faiths is to respect none. If I was to respect faith it would be with the same respect I accord an extremely poisonous snake.

Only if one of them demands complete and unquestioning belief in everything it teaches.
or demands complete rejection of all other faiths.
megaman

Previous

Return to Other Law