Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Price of justice

Price of justice

Postby Russell » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:16 pm

Has a correlation between ability to afford an expensive lawyer and case outcome, been quantified in any research? In effect, can you buy justice? If you can't, then how does an expensive Lawyer justify his fee?
We all have the power to be, our own forum moderator!
Russell

Re: Price of justice

Postby dls » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:00 am

None that I know of as formal research.

It is however, very simple. It is determined largely by the market. In contentious matters fees chargeable to a client's opponent are restricted.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:02 pm

Russell wrote:Has a correlation between ability to afford an expensive lawyer and case outcome, been quantified in any research? In effect, can you buy justice? If you can't, then how does an expensive Lawyer justify his fee?

One of the most interesting questions yet. I don't know the answer but I think I know which way to bet when it comes to choosing a lawyer.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby shootist » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Another interesting thing about lawyers is that they operate on a very similar principle to computers, i.e. 'garbage in, garbage out.' I have often felt some sympathy when watching a solicitor (usually) in a magistrates court trying their best to present a defence that is utter garbage but which their client has insisted is presented to the court.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:54 pm

My job is to sift the material that is presented, assess it, and advise. The resulting action (if it involves going to court) may range from the equivalent of pulling the legs off a spider (quoting a QC telling my terrified clients what the other side were aiming to do to them) to damage limitation.
atticus

Postby dls » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:27 pm

' I have often felt some sympathy when watching a solicitor (usually) in a magistrates court trying their best to present a defence that is utter garbage but which their client has insisted is presented to the court.

Nice thought, but not necessary. He should attract neither opprobrium nor sympathy. He presents his cient's case as best he can within the client's parameters.

To be fair, the more I have thought about this, the less sense the question makes.

It begs hugely the question of what is it that constitutes good representation. Many clients do just want what seems to be the simple best otome. For many however, there are factors personal to them and to the case which severely distort thse parameters. There is no good way of setting the question, let alone finding an answer.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 pm

Ask my client's opponent today, who has just caved in before a hearing tomorrow at which we would have taken them to the cleaners, whether haveing the more expensive lawyers is any guarantee of success. Clue: the city firm on the other side was charging 3 times my hourly rate.
atticus

Postby shootist » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:44 pm

I suspect that the quality of the respective cases would have some influence, probably more than the rates charged. But if the case was finely balanced then perhaps three times the money may have been well spent. Three times the hourly rate doesn't mean you can polish a turd.
shootist

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Exactamundo!
atticus

Postby Russell » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:53 pm

I ponder the question as there was a case going to court of a high ranging public figure charged with online grooming. He's was a case similar to 100's of others who almost all plead guilty. No doubt he could afford to present a complex and highly unlikely story to the court. As it happens he was found guilty anyway. But I'm sure money did give him a bite of the cherry, even if it was a bitter one.
We all have the power to be, our own forum moderator!
Russell

Next

Return to Other Law