Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Meta Data re Personal Data

Re: Meta Data re Personal Data

Postby diy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:25 am

Imagine I want to hold personal data on everyone who lives in your street so I may explore their buying habits and better sell them stuff. Lets say there are 400 people living on your street... I could collect the data on all 400 with the correct permissions, or I could collect the data attributed in a an pseudo-anonymized form and store one profile that related to nobody (the base profile). I can then store the data differences in a condensed form, between each real person and the made up base profile. Lets add a few zeros to the data sample and store different attributes of the data on different servers around the world.

I have everything I need to process the data in the same way as holding the real data. But I haven't needed anyone's permission beyond perhaps in some countries having their agreement that their data can be aggregated in anonymized form. This is how the big social media, search, data etc.. companies track you.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:15 am

I do not doubt it. But how does this help the OP?
atticus

Postby diy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:22 am

It was you who asked the question.
diy

Postby atticus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:53 am

I asked for an explanation of your answer to the OP when you wrote about the 3rd form and federations. Do you think all that stuff actually helps the OP? If so, how?
atticus

Postby diy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:13 am

The OP should consider a complaint to the insurance company and follow up with a complaint to the ombudsman on the basis that they conducted an expert review which appeared to support the OP and then apparently rewrote it to support their business objectives. It would be easier than a small claim perhaps? Having said all that, I would caution that an AI anecdotally being sympathetic to a claimant and subsequently writing otherwise, might not be uncommon, given the background of a lot of AIs. I came across a few in my days of motorcycle training.

The question was the scope of personal data, my answer was to point out that it is possible to exclude any data very easily. It is very big business to do so.
diy

Postby b1969 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:44 am

diy wrote:The question was the scope of personal data, my answer was to point out that it is possible to exclude any data very easily.

Pseudonymised data remains personal data at European law.
b1969

Postby dls » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:10 pm

follow up with a complaint to the ombudsman on the basis that they conducted an expert review which appeared to support the OP and then apparently rewrote it to support their business

I am not at all clear that this is what the P is saying. He is saying that he suspects it, and is seeking evidence to support it.
Again, what is being requested does not, to me, look like personal data.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Other Law