Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

"Balanced Presentation."

"Balanced Presentation."

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:55 am

Education Act 1996 wrote:407 Duty to secure balanced treatment of political issues.

(1)The local education authority, governing body and head teacher shall take such steps as are reasonably practicable to secure that where political issues are brought to the attention of pupils while they are—
(a)in attendance at a maintained school, or
(b)taking part in extra-curricular activities which are provided or organised for registered pupils at the school by or on behalf of the school,
they are offered a balanced presentation of opposing views.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/56/contents

How does this apply to something like climate change for example? How does one determine what is, or is not a "political issue"?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: "Balanced Presentation."

Postby shootist » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:10 pm

Take the kids out to a school that teaches creationism as an example. Creationism isn't a political issue. Telling the school governors what a load of bollocks is it will be a political issue.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Does the Act give any further guidance?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:29 pm

atticus wrote:Does the Act give any further guidance?

I have found none so far. I've edited OP to include a link to the Act. Other education acts are also available. :?
Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:43 pm

shootist wrote:Take the kids out to a school that teaches creationism as an example. Creationism isn't a political issue...

I understand that it is in the USA.
Hairyloon

Postby theycantdothat » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Hairyloon wrote:How does this apply to something like climate change for example? How does one determine what is, or is not a "political issue"?

This very question has been addressed by the courts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimmock_v ... and_Skills

https://www.elaw.org/content/uk-stuart- ... nvenient-t
theycantdothat

Postby atticus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:43 pm

From the Amended guidance note referred to and approved in the judgment
However, the High Court has made clear the law does not require teaching staff to adopt a position of neutrality between views which accord with the great majority of scientific opinion and those which do not
atticus

Postby shootist » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
shootist wrote:Take the kids out to a school that teaches creationism as an example. Creationism isn't a political issue...

I understand that it is in the USA.

Everything is a political issue in the USA, as it is becoming here, if it isn't already.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby diy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:36 pm

My kids school teaches 2 hours a week of RS/RE. 1 hour a fortnight of IT, which no IT professional would recognise as anything more than Office skills, so i’m not convinced there is much balance at all
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:45 pm

diy wrote:My kids school teaches 2 hours a week of RS/RE. 1 hour a fortnight of IT, which no IT professional would recognise as anything more than Office skills, so i’m not convinced there is much balance at all

I think the overwhelming scientific opinion is that religion does exist, so on the basis of the Dimmock guidance they have no duty to try to balance that view with the suggestion that it does not.
I'm not clear what it is that you think office skills should be balanced with. I suppose one might construct a political argument over Windows vs Linux, but if we must, then let us do that elsewhere...

atticus wrote:From the Amended guidance note referred to and approved in the judgment
However, the High Court has made clear the law does not require teaching staff to adopt a position of neutrality between views which accord with the great majority of scientific opinion and those which do not

Do I understand correctly that these guidance notes (is there a link? I did not spot them) are specific to that particular film? Or is there general guidance to the application of the rule?

I am a little surprised that there has been no case reported (that I've heard of) arguing an unbalanced teaching about our membership of the EU. I can't imagine any Brexiteers believing the teaching to be sufficiently well balanced, especially not after hearing the accusation on Question Time last week that the BBC engineered the debates by always ensuring that the Remain side had the more intelligent representative...
Perhaps those are still in the pipeline?
Hairyloon

Next

Return to Other Law