Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Near impossible to hold lying witnesses to account

Near impossible to hold lying witnesses to account

Postby Mac&Me » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:15 pm

My employer lied at an employment tribunal and those lies were the only reason he won. I knew at the time he was lying but I couldn't prove it. I now have irrefutable evidence that he lied but no one is interested. I mailed the evidence to the judge but got no response. I have mentioned the evidence to people in the legal profession and the only response I get is I should have shown it to the judge at tribunal and that I am now out of time. The thing about lies are they are not always obvious and they are not always found out right away. If I had the evidence at the tribunal I would have shown it to the judge. I haven’t gone to the police because the consensus is they won’t be interested. I've seen cases where witnesses have been found out lying and have gone to court as a result, but those are high profile cases. Why is it so difficult to get a lying witness held accountable for their lies?
Mac&Me

Re: Near impossible to hold lying witnesses to account

Postby dls » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:31 pm

We obviously have no idea as to the context, but, sadly, one man's irrefutable evidence of lying proves very regularly to be another man's mere mistake. It is frustrating and you may of course be absolutely right, but others will be reluctant to make the effort. It is hard on you, but inevitable.

Take a very hard look at your evidence, and if it does not _absolutely_ add up, move on.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:25 am

Without any comment on the chances of success, the OP may consider an appeal with an application to introduce new evidence.
atticus

Postby atticus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:18 pm

The OP may find this blog post by barrister Gordon Exall worth reading. It is from his excellent blog, Civil Litigation Brief.
atticus

Postby Mac&Me » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:30 pm

Thank you for the replies and the blog was well worth reading.
Mac&Me

Return to Other Law