Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

The awful situation of Charlie Gard

Re: The awful situation of Charlie Gard

Postby atticus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Diy's first two sentences contradict each other.

What evidence does he have to support the first sentence of the third paragraph?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:17 pm

It is a big help, when referring to a post on another page, to quote the relevant parts of it.
Also, I suggest, it is significantly easier and clearer than describing it.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:25 pm

Whatever
atticus

Postby diy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:36 am

About the suffering of terminally ill children to advance the science? I do a bit of work with a couple of charities and have a few friends who do research on various things. e.g battens disease. The disease itself is pretty awful. It can progress and various paces depending what age you develop it. Degenerative diseases, slowly rot you away, in this case a typically healthy 3-5 year old spends the next 10-12 years gradually losing everything.

There have been various studies involving all sorts of invasive paraphernalia many (most) fail. As is the nature of medical science. My point is that children suffer in these studies. It isn't black and white to say treatment A will cause unnecessary suffering and treatment B will advance the science.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby shootist » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:20 am

diy wrote:There have been various studies involving all sorts of invasive paraphernalia many (most) fail. As is the nature of medical science. My point is that children suffer in these studies. It isn't black and white to say treatment A will cause unnecessary suffering and treatment B will advance the science.

I believe that some significant contributions to science were made by a certain Dr Mengele.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:45 am

shootist wrote:I believe that some significant contributions to science were made by a certain Dr Mengele.

I believe it entirely possible, but can you name any?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Boo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:06 am

Probably none that are ethical or can be validated and replicated.

There has been qualitative data provided by survivors of his experiments. But even this type of data has its flaws.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby atticus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:17 pm

Undoubtedly scientific advances have been made in morally and ethically questionable circumstances.
atticus

Postby Russell » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:17 pm

We deal with ways to get orphan drugs/treatment advanced and a treatment for this will almost certainly have to be ported over from another more common condition. Possibly from a treatment for fatigue (at a guess).
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:25 am

Interesting guess, alex. Is that a wild guess, or is it based on your in depth special knowledge of the subject?
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to Other Law