Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

An interesting law book

An interesting law book

Postby shootist » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:45 am

This being "The Reliance of the Traveller." It's a manual of Islamic (Sharia) law. It's interesting for the detail it goes into and the very remarkable fact that the electronic version (PDF, Epub, etc) seems to have been completely removed from the internet, which is no mean feat. I have yet to track it down in that form despite searching through many less usual routes.

It was published on or about 1368 (this may have been the date of the author's death). The copy I have is a modern print of some 1,200 pages, printed in the USA and would seem to be correct in it's content It follows common practice of printing English text alongside Arabic script. Apparently, the translator has not translated those sections on slavery because they are, it is said, no longer relevant.

Given the readability of law books in general, especially when influenced by the readability of religious books, it's pretty hard going, but the range of subjects it covers is immense, from contract law, through criminal law, to how to correctly urinate. It seems to have remained a fairly constant reference book to Islamic law and as far as I can tell remains current to the faith.

Now, if I refer to the barbarities it contains, many people will leap to their feet declaiming that the Bible has some pretty cruel laws too. I can only point out the rather important fact that the Old Testament was superseded by the New, where Jesus basically said that the Old Testament no longer applied, for the most part. I'm sure that Melonhead will be along soon to confirm this concept, notwithstanding his somewhat suspect impartiality.

It will be too much to hope for, I expect, to wonder if any of the lawyers here have a copy and might care to comment upon it's content.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Re: An interesting law book

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:20 pm

shootist wrote:It will be too much to hope for, I expect, to wonder if any of the lawyers here have a copy and might care to comment upon it's content.

If it is that important then I'm sure you are welcome to donate a copy or few.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Loonwatch. A concise and unbiased website seeking the truth without bias. According to loons running the site.

But...

No, I don't think it is. It looks to me like an interesting law book of some 1000+ pages, with references as to it's veracity and the quality of it's translation that could be easily checked, together will many quoted extracts from the Koran that can, again, easy be checked, and with many references to various Hadiths, which can all easily be checked. It would take an incredibly determined and incredibly well funded large group of people many years to manufacture such a work with any intent to deceive, if it could be one at all. I might add that many of the relatively few passages I have read so far are often anything but convoluted. If, of course, a straightforward translation of a particular passage of either the Koran or the Reliance of the Traveller appeals to so called hate sites one may well wonder if the so called hate sites have a point.

You do raise an interesting point though. The Koran is allegedly perfect in it's Arabic. Clear, concise, poetic, and perfect in every way. I must ask why then that is seems so difficult for some to translate into English, especially in the more 'controversial' passages.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby shootist » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
shootist wrote:It will be too much to hope for, I expect, to wonder if any of the lawyers here have a copy and might care to comment upon it's content.

If it is that important then I'm sure you are welcome to donate a copy or few.

Don't be silly. I'm trying to engage some serious discussion.
shootist

Postby b1969 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:10 pm

shootist wrote:one may well wonder if the so called hate sites have a point

And with that, I'm off.
b1969

Postby dls » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:37 am

one may well wonder if the so called hate sites have a point

Shameful
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:13 am

dls wrote:
one may well wonder if the so called hate sites have a point

Shameful

You will have noticed the 'so called', I hope. If a so called hate site, (such as loonwatch.com) make an accurate observation is it any the less accurate for being published on their site? That is the 'point' I was referring to (poorly put, I acknowledge). I have no wish merely to swap one set of bigots for another.

And what is a hate site or hate speech? I consider the term "Islamophobia" to be hate speech. It is used by anyone seeking to condemn any criticism of Islam for being an irrational fear however legitimate any concerns about one of the biggest issues in the modern world. It is nothing more than a deception technique to avoid inconvenient issues. It seems quite remarkable how determined those of a liberal mind set are to avoid any meaningful discussion on these issues.
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:37 am

shootist wrote:I consider the term "Islamophobia" to be hate speech. It is used by anyone seeking to condemn any criticism of Islam for being an irrational fear however legitimate any concerns about one of the biggest issues in the modern world...

In much the same way that "anti-Semitism" is used to condemn any criticism of Israel or anybody Jewish: it is an abuse of the word and entirely counter-productive.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:39 am

As are terms such as "liberal" and "snowflake", as thrown around by the OP. If certain uses of certain words offend, then do not use other words in a similar manner.
atticus

Next

Return to Other Law