Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Delay Repay train tickets

Delay Repay train tickets

Postby circlemaker » Thu May 18, 2017 8:43 am

I have been asked to attend a meeting to examine details regarding some of the claims I have made. The wording in the claims section says you must have travelled on or intended to travel on the service being claimed for. Is the wording "intended" open to wide interpretation, or if I did not get the train am I in big trouble? If so how should I proceed at the meeting, accept claims were made and I misunderstood the wording and attempt to reverse the payments received?
circlemaker

Re: Delay Repay train tickets

Postby atticus » Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 am

This is not an advice forum.

Consider honesty.

Stoaty - does the OP risk prosecution?
atticus

Postby circlemaker » Thu May 18, 2017 9:33 am

I would like to answer honestly, my worry is if I answer honestly I may face prosecution due to the wording "intended" I cannot prove I intended or did not intend to take the service, other than I travelled at a different time or possibly not at all.
circlemaker

Postby theycantdothat » Thu May 18, 2017 10:24 am

If you bought the tickets surely you must have intended to travel.
theycantdothat

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu May 18, 2017 10:30 am

The possibility of prosecution cannot be discounted.

Either the OP intended to travel on the affected service or he didn't: I'm not sure quite how much interpretation that is open to.

Honesty is the best policy. The situation could easily be made far worse.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu May 18, 2017 10:40 am

theycantdothat wrote:If you bought the tickets surely you must have intended to travel.

But not necessarily on the affected service. Without going into too much detail, if a passenger travels on a service that ran on time they have been known to claim to have been on a different train for which compensation is payable. There are means of finding such services.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby circlemaker » Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 am

well this is the thing, I bought the season ticket so I can intend to travel at anytime on the service. I can make my journey to or from destination at another time without having to travel on the service which was disrupted, if I so choose. So surely the intention is to travel at that time but I changed my mind and went earlier or after and thus make a claim for a journey I intended to catch?
circlemaker

Postby atticus » Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 am

Hmmmm.......

Is the meeting likely to be a formal one, interview under caution?
atticus

Postby circlemaker » Thu May 18, 2017 11:11 am

My understanding is that it is a meeting to discuss in detail the claims being made, not an interview under caution
circlemaker

Postby atticus » Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am

As stated earlier, this forum does not give legal advice. The OP should consider whether he should obtain such advice, bearing in mind that this does not appear to have been a single occurrence and that prosecution cannot be ruled out.
atticus

Next

Return to Other Law