Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Arresting Protestors.

Re: Arresting Protestors.

Postby shootist » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:49 am

atticus wrote:
shootist wrote:Not really. There are a lot of police so statistically one of them is bound to read a law book sooner or later and actually understand what is said in it.
There was a policeman in my year on my university law course. I reckon he must have been 35 or so at the time. He went on to be Commissioner of the Met.

He was a more diligent student than me, so I think it likely that he read a few law books.

You prove me correct then.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:56 am

I'm delighted to have done so.

How many police officers do you think have read any Proust?
atticus

Postby shootist » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:44 am

More than either of us might think, I suspect. But then having read Proust seems often to be a boast of a certain type of person who wishes to display their intellectual superiority while taking a break from signalling their virtue, so it might well fit into a few police libraries. A more pertinent question might be to ask who has read Proust and then done so a second time because they enjoyed it so much the first, but that would be difficult to veryify.

Returning to law books, I am still grinding my way slowly through "Reliance of the Traveller." It is very interesting trying to compare the sections on contracts, banking, and trading to see how they compare with current law. I am certainly no expert on those issues, but there seems to be some interesting and carefully thought out approaches.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:42 am

Sheffield council has finally admitted that they signed a contract which took away all of their own oversight powers. According to a Guardian report, the council is forbidden to go against Amey’s verdict on any tree— if they do, the tree’s maintenance is no longer covered by the contract. Since the council cannot afford to maintain the trees outside the contract, we now know why they have been so determined to fell beloved, valuable, rare, important trees against all reason and expert advice: they gave up their power to do otherwise when they signed the PFI contract.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how ... mg00000004
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Sorry, but the article does not sound to be at all independent, and draws many one sided conclusions without even attempting to support it with evidence.

I was unsympathetic to the Council, but am lless and less so.

Double checking the paragraph appasrently justifying the report has ben corrected.

It appears o be a report based in an inaccurate report which still does not reveal its justification.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Other Law