Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Violent neighbour.

Violent neighbour.

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:02 am

A friend has expressed concern that her violent and abusive neighbour is coming out of hospital soon and returning home. Apparently she is completely reformed and a lovely person now...
Except that local knowledge of the available mental health services suggests that they leave more than a bit to be desired, so the report on the lady's condition is not entirely convincing.

Seems to me a tricky problem: we shouldn't assume that the violence hasn't been cured, but on the other hand, how are former victims supposed to feel safe? There is no "off" switch on fear and worry.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10018
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Violent neighbour.

Postby dls » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:00 am

Is the neighbour a tenant?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
User avatar
dls
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12199
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 pm
Location: Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Re: Violent neighbour.

Postby shootist » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:24 am

Hairyloon wrote:Seems to me a tricky problem: we shouldn't assume that the violence hasn't been cured, but on the other hand, how are former victims supposed to feel safe?


It would be entirely foolish of anyone in such circumstances, however good or bad the local mental health services are, to assume that the violence has been cured. Why on earth should anyone feel they can rely upon such an assumption? That is no more than a common sense precaution.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3541
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Violent neighbour.

Postby diy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:25 am

Aside from any statutory or legal remedy, I had need to install IP based CCTV in my house over a misunderstanding with a builder which was later resolved. It didn't cost much. I'd seriously consider adding a couple of cameras (pointing on my own property) before she's let out. Installing CCTV after might cause her to think its an act of aggression.

If you want recommendations - Hikvision are good and are around £100 a unit.
My suggestions are not legal advice
User avatar
diy
 
Posts: 2575
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Violent neighbour.

Postby 3.14 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:08 pm

CCTV is a good idea anyway.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom
User avatar
3.14
 
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Violent neighbour.

Postby Boo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:40 pm

Hairyloon wrote:A friend has expressed concern that her violent and abusive neighbour is coming out of hospital soon and returning home. Apparently she is completely reformed and a lovely person now...
Except that local knowledge of the available mental health services suggests that they leave more than a bit to be desired, so the report on the lady's condition is not entirely convincing.

Seems to me a tricky problem: we shouldn't assume that the violence hasn't been cured, but on the other hand, how are former victims supposed to feel safe? There is no "off" switch on fear and worry.


I echo David's question. Also, what type of accommodation does your friend live in; own home, local authority accommodation, private let, sofa surfing?

Was the neighbour violent and abusive towards your friend? If so was it reported to the Police?

Hairyloon wrote: the report on the lady's condition is not entirely convincing.


What is this report and where did it come from?

Hairyloon wrote: how are former victims supposed to feel safe? There is no "off" switch on fear and worry.

It very much depends on the circumstances.

More detail would be appreciated, without full disclosure of course.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
User avatar
Boo
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: On the edge!

Re: Violent neighbour.

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:01 pm

diy wrote:I'd seriously consider adding a couple of cameras (pointing on my own property) before she's let out...

I don't think there is any way to install CCTV without it filming the street. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but it does present issues; not least of those that some of the other neighbours are likely to object.

Boo wrote:I echo David's question. Also, what type of accommodation does your friend live in; own home, local authority accommodation, private let, sofa surfing?

I think most of the housing in that area is tenanted, much of it housing association and some of it I think is sheltered or at least partly so.
Was the neighbour violent and abusive towards your friend? If so was it reported to the Police?

Yes, and yes: that was how the neighbour ended up in the mental hospital.

Hairyloon wrote: the report on the lady's condition is not entirely convincing.

What is this report and where did it come from?

From the anti-social department of the council.

More detail would be appreciated, without full disclosure of course.

This is not such a close friend that I know the answers, nor do I wish to pry too hard. It is someone on my radar that I think needs a bit of looking out for.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10018
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Violent neighbour.

Postby diy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:07 am

even the most basic systems allow you to edit the event grid, so that activities not on your land aren't recorded. For example on my system my front camera has pavement and road in the top third of the picture. The event grid excludes squares not on my land as i didn't want to record every passing pedestrian or car. The system only keeps footages when there is movement on my land. It then stores a minute or so before and after the event. It works very well until spiders get busy in front of the lenses
My suggestions are not legal advice
User avatar
diy
 
Posts: 2575
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Violent neighbour.

Postby shootist » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:56 am

To the best of my knowledge there are no issues about private CCTV cameras covering public places such as roads. There are issues about covering a neighbour's land, but even some of those can be overcome.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3541
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Violent neighbour.

Postby atticus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:56 pm

The presence of CCTV cameras may displace the problem to a location not covered by the cameras.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19714
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Next

Return to Other Law

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest