Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Violent neighbour.

Re: Violent neighbour.

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:24 pm

atticus wrote:The presence of CCTV cameras may displace the problem to a location not covered by the cameras.

In the context, that would work well enough, but I am not convinced that it is a suitable situation for CCTV. I will suggest it, but I don't expect the suggestion to be well received.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:18 pm

You can't help those who won't help themselves. At least not that often.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:57 pm

shootist wrote:You can't help those who won't help themselves. At least not that often.

That isn't really the problem. The only way I can see to fit a CCTV without it being pointed to an unreasonable extent at the neighbours would be to mount it high and point it down and film the tops of people's heads.
Even then, I imagine it would upset enough people that you couldn't begin to guess which one it was that threw a rock at it from outside of the field of view.
Hairyloon

Postby shootist » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:45 am

Most CCTV is not good enough to identify an offender without further evidence. It is good enough to show what happened though. Also, an unobtrusive 'active' microphone strategically placed will record any verbal confrontation.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby 3.14 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 am

Hairyloon wrote:
shootist wrote:You can't help those who won't help themselves. At least not that often.

That isn't really the problem. The only way I can see to fit a CCTV without it being pointed to an unreasonable extent at the neighbours would be to mount it high and point it down and film the tops of people's heads.
Even then, I imagine it would upset enough people that you couldn't begin to guess which one it was that threw a rock at it from outside of the field of view.

Just use covert cameras, the neighbours will never see them to be upset about the issue.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby diy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:32 am

Current guidance is not to mount cctv too high, but go for something just out of arms reach. The higher you go the less use it is. Covert is easy enough and there are many options. As long as you are mindful of the voyeurism and harassment legislation you wont have a problem.

If people object to cctv - they are probably living in the wrong country
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:06 am

Odd final sentence.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:20 am

I understand the UK has the highest rate of CCTV per capita in the world.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:26 am

That does not justify the statement that someone is probably living in the wrong country. Does diy think people can just pick and choose?
atticus

Postby diy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 pm

If you are against being recorded on cctv then it probably is currently easier for you to relocate than to convince people to remove the many thousands of cameras

so in the context of avoiding cctv it's probably easier.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

PreviousNext

Return to Other Law