Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Jury intimidation

Jury intimidation

Postby megaman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:40 pm

I recently read a post in a forum where someone explained that he was on a jury for a kiddie fiddling case and all of the other jurors seamed to be paying no attention to the case and taking no notice of the evidence.

He was certain that the defendant was innocent
However in the deliberation room none of the others would discuss the case instead they were all demanding that he find the person guilty and accusing him of being a pedo-friend (among other things)
then eventually one of them started threatening him with violence if he did not find the defendant guilty)

He said he was forced to give a guilty verdict and could not go to the police afterwards because jury deliberations are secret and he would get charged with contempt of court.

This raises 2 questions.

1) If a juror on a past case came forward with this information, could the case be appealed.
2) Is there any possibility that going to the police and speaking out would be contempt of court (to me this seams absolutely absurd but i am asking anyway)
megaman

Re: Jury intimidation

Postby dls » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:01 pm

He goes to the police
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:08 pm

He may not have known it, but I think the right course at the time would have been a note to the judge.
atticus

Postby megaman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:32 pm

dls wrote:He goes to the police

That did not answer the questions
megaman

Postby megaman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:35 pm

atticus wrote:He may not have known it, but I think the right course at the time would have been a note to the judge.

I thought of that two

My first thoughts were that he should have attempted to deal with it in the best way that his background, abilities and personality type allow
( ie for an extrovert attempt to talk, for an introvert simply ignore it) until it became apparent that nothing he did was going to do any good and then attempt to leave the room.

Only if he could not get out of there and it was clear that the mater was not going to die down then he should go along with it until he has an opportunity to send a note to the judge or have a word with a member of court staff.

However my questions were regarding if anything can be done about it now and if going to the police could be contempt of court.
megaman

Postby 3.14 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:37 pm

megaman wrote:1) If a juror on a past case came forward with this information, could the case be appealed?
2) Is there any possibility that going to the police and speaking out would be contempt of court?

Good questions that I don't know the answer to. Come now, I'm sure the lawyers on the board have the answers on the tip of the fingers.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:41 pm

megaman wrote:all of the other jurors seamed to be paying no attention to the case and taking no notice of the evidence.

Shouldn't the judge notice when the jury are not paying attention?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:44 pm

megaman wrote:I thought of that two

I only made one point.
atticus

Postby dls » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:50 am

During the trial, the correct approach would indeed to have been to report it to the jury bailiff(?).

After the trial, you start with the police.

You do not do 'the police and . . ' something else. Just the police.

I would also suggest the story itself needs to be looked at with caution. There are elements which may not stand up to examination.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby megaman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:39 pm

my specific questions have not yet been answered

1) If a juror on a past case came forward with this information, could the case be appealed.
2) Is there any possibility that going to the police and speaking out would be contempt of court (to me this seams absolutely absurd but i am asking anyway)
megaman

Next

Return to Other Law