Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

WTF? British 14-Year-Old Cryogenically Frozen

Re: WTF? British 14-Year-Old Cryogenically Frozen

Postby diy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:41 am

atticus wrote:Slightly successful? That is encouraging.

Yeah - I read in to it a little bit and I think I'm skeptical. The body donor mouse still has brain stem in tact, so arguably the motor functions aren't being controlled by the recipient. This might be better described as a reverse of the process to separate conjoined twins. I think the recipient may actually be more of a parasite on a donor who's had its upper brain function removed. I couldn't see anything to suggest they'd successfully connected the spine to the recipient.

This is why I think gross negligent manslaughter would be appropriate for someone who had not taken reasonable steps to test or prove the process.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby diy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:49 am

shootist wrote:Likewise withdrawing nourishment and starving a person to death because nobody has the moral courage to do the job humanely. If you were to do that to a prisoner it would be murder, but to an old knackered patient it seems quite ethical on occasions.

Dying "naturally" or even through illness is pretty much this. Basically there comes a point where you can no longer drink or eat and within 48 hours something important fails due to lack of water etc.
diy

Postby atticus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:55 am

anyone providing this service who commences the process before the subject has been certified dead is asking for big trouble.

And that is all.
atticus

Postby diy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:08 am

the head transplant? or the freezing?

Apparently there is no legal definition of death other than it being certified by a doctor
http://www.odt.nhs.uk/pdf/code-of-pract ... -death.pdf
Last edited by diy on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
diy

Postby atticus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:12 am

Either, frankly.
atticus

Postby diy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:16 am

I agree. there may be a time when head transplants are viable, but in the above case IMO its surgeon ego vs. hippocratic oath.
diy

Postby 3.14 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:39 pm

The head transplant brings to mind the Heinlein novel I Will Fear No Evil, In it, the protag was a rich person who was being kept alive by technology and he wanted to commit suicide. The transplant seemed the only legal way to do it. He didn't expect it to be successful.

Wikipedia puts the medical definition as;
An individual who has sustained either (1) irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions, or (2) irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem is dead. A determination of death must be made in accordance with accepted medical standards.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby shootist » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:18 pm

3.14 wrote:The head transplant brings to mind the Heinlein novel I Will Fear No Evil, In it, the protag was a rich person who was being kept alive by technology and he wanted to commit suicide. The transplant seemed the only legal way to do it. He didn't expect it to be successful.

At risk of splitting hairs (which I suppose you'd have to with such a transplant) In that book it was a brain transplant.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:23 pm

Do you guys read anything else? I did once try to start a 'book club' thread.
atticus

Postby shootist » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:31 pm

The Hornblower series, The Sharpe Books, Kipling, Frederick Forsyth, Crime histories, Military histories, other stuff. But Heinlein is always a go to author.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

PreviousNext

Return to Other Law