Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

WTF? British 14-Year-Old Cryogenically Frozen

Re: WTF? British 14-Year-Old Cryogenically Frozen

Postby tph » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:26 pm

But that is not continuing their life.

I should have perhaps said that their is nothing in current medicine which can revive them.
tph

Postby 3.14 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:12 pm

The legal definition of death is the question that no one here seems to want to define. I have asked several times now.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby atticus » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Perhaps you should be looking for a medical definition.
atticus

Postby 3.14 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:37 pm

is there case law?
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:55 pm

3.14 wrote:The legal definition of death is the question that no one here seems to want to define. I have asked several times now.

A person is legally dead when a doctor signs their death certificate.
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:58 pm

Hairyloon wrote:How dead does one have to be before one can be cut up for parts?

This must be a question that has a well established answer.
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:31 pm

I suspect the answer is something like a person being in a state whereby you cannot get him started again. It would be a poor defence to a murder to suggest that the deceased had been frozen in a chest freezer in order that he may be brought back to life when technology is sufficiently advanced. What if a tissue sample had been taken before death and a clone body had been grown? In theory, the same DNA might equal the same person? I doubt it, but it seems at least as plausible as freezing. Perhaps a mind meld with a Vulcan might preserve the victim's consciousness while his body is happily rotting beyond hope of revival. Not much hope as the last Vulcan has been permanently grounded.

Some people think that there is a resurrection and the soul will depart to heaven or hell. Perhaps we need to consider replacing a charge of murder with one of preventing a person from seeking salvation before the matter is fully decided by the victim's lifestyle. It may be possible to simulate immortality by listening to one of Jeremy Corbyn's longer speeches. You won't actually live any longer but it will just seem like an eternity. The downside is that a rational listener will want to die long before the end of it.

No, I think it's dead when you can't crank it up again not nohow. In fact I'm sure of it. When a doctor has exhausted all possible cures, that's it. It matters not that it couldn't be done some years ago, we now know a considerable amount more. MRI scans for one thing. Completely unknown even to the Victorian scientists. I am utterly certain that a human body immersed in liquid nitrogen for any time at all, let alone a week or two has had it. Every cell in it's body stuffed forever. A post mortem examination is quite certain to settle the matter.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby diy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:10 am

While there are many parallels with the head transplant. That has at least been slightly successful in animal trials. Here we have nothing similar
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:21 am

Slightly successful? That is encouraging.
atticus

Postby shootist » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:36 am

We are doing the equivalent here of trying to establish exactly how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Technology may one day allow the brain activity to be recorded and saved on a computer. The body can then be cloned before being mashed into a strawberry jam like mess in a car crusher, set alight, and the ashes scattered by aircraft. Then the brain activity can be printed onto the new cloned body and everything will be back to normal for the subject. That concludes the case for the defence M'lud.

There has to be a reality check here. It's dead when it can't be started up again. I am sure that there must be some sort of case law, or at least a persuasive legal decision somewhere about this. If there was not then switching off life support for a person in a persistent vegetative state would surely be murder. Likewise withdrawing nourishment and starving a person to death because nobody has the moral courage to do the job humanely. If you were to do that to a prisoner it would be murder, but to an old knackered patient it seems quite ethical on occasions.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

PreviousNext

Return to Other Law