Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Virtual Assault.

Re: Virtual Assault.

Postby diy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:23 pm

I dunno about that - the social structures which form are quite complex. Its interesting to see how youngsters learn to play nice when there is no rule forcing them to.
My suggestions are not legal advice
User avatar
diy
 
Posts: 2202
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Virtual Assault.

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:26 pm

diy wrote:I dunno about that - the social structures which form are quite complex. Its interesting to see how youngsters learn to play nice when there is no rule forcing them to.

Oh, youngsters will usually play nice, but teenagers can be evil little shits.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 8898
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Virtual Assault.

Postby diy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:37 pm

That is so true..
My suggestions are not legal advice
User avatar
diy
 
Posts: 2202
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Virtual Assault.

Postby shootist » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Likewise, but such games can often be not subject to friendly fire, in which case that would not work.
Also, folk tend to not stay dead in these games for long: you'd be starting a fight that you're very likely to lose.


I can only repeat, who want's to voluntarily play in such an environment?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 2976
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Virtual Assault.

Postby shootist » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Oh, youngsters will usually play nice, but teenagers can be evil little shits.


If you think that then your early years were extraordinarily pleasant. About the time children learn to speak they are capable of becoming little monsters. These days most of them seem to stay like that all the way to the grave.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 2976
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Virtual Assault.

Postby shootist » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:30 pm

My all time favourite TV program is Monkey life, sometimes titled as Monkey world. I absolutely love watching it and I find the chimpanzee politics and society fascinating. While they can all be sneaky little buggers I think the main advantage they have is that it is extraordinarily difficult to lie to each other when you can't speak. The toddlers are valued, fussed over, and permitted great liberties until they come of age then they find their place and usually only get grief when they stray from it. Even the dominant male has to court favour among all the tribe to maintain his position. I believe we could learn a lot from them. I believe we will not, thinking ourselves so far above them as to be almost a separate species.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 2976
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Virtual Assault.

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:36 pm

shootist wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:Likewise, but such games can often be not subject to friendly fire, in which case that would not work.
Also, folk tend to not stay dead in these games for long: you'd be starting a fight that you're very likely to lose.


I can only repeat, who want's to voluntarily play in such an environment?

And I would agree, but why should people be driven away by other people being dicks? It is the dicks who should be driven away, and they should go find a game where the purpose is to be a dick: I don't doubt that there are some.

But I suspect that the worst dicks are also the best at finding ways around bans.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 8898
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Virtual Assault.

Postby Voldemort » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:53 pm

It’s an interesting question and having used the Play Station 4 Virtual reality system, I can confirm that the experience whilst distinguishable from reality can be very life-like indeed!

For me the key issue is not that the game is realistic, but rather in the scenario Hairy talks about, the interaction or communication is with another person and not just the computer program. It therefore draws comparisons to other forms of communication such as telephone calls, text messages, even emails – for which I’m sure anti-harassment / malicious communications legislation already exists.
Voldemort
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:28 am

Re: Virtual Assault.

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:03 pm

Voldemort wrote:For me the key issue is not that the game is realistic, but rather in the scenario Hairy talks about, the interaction or communication is with another person and not just the computer program. It therefore draws comparisons to other forms of communication such as telephone calls, text messages, even emails – for which I’m sure anti-harassment / malicious communications legislation already exists.

Yes, that was my first thought.
Though I think we have established that the first line of defence ought to be with the game host and/or distributor.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 8898
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Virtual Assault.

Postby shootist » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:03 pm

Hairyloon wrote:And I would agree, but why should people be driven away by other people being dicks? It is the dicks who should be driven away, and they should go find a game where the purpose is to be a dick: I don't doubt that there are some.


The world is full of dickheads, in fact I think they are in the majority. Neither can they be persuaded from their dickheadedness without long and expert help. If you don't want to get dirty, don't go playing in the dustbin. Of course, the dickheads may think that you are the dickhead. Whichever way it is, keeping apart mostly works.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 2976
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Other Law

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest