Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Virtual Assault.

Virtual Assault.

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:16 pm

In between a wave of zombies and demons to shoot down, I was hanging out next to BigBro442, waiting for our next attack. Suddenly, BigBro442's disembodied helmet faced me dead-on. His floating hand approached my body, and he started to virtually rub my chest.
"Stop!" I cried. I must have laughed from the embarrassment and the ridiculousness of the situation. Women, after all, are supposed to be cool, and take any form of sexual harassment with a laugh. But I still told him to stop...
Everywhere I ran, he appeared beside me, ready to grope as soon as the zombie wave was over. I'd had enough. With a final parting obscenity, I yanked the headset off my face and stood back in the sunny, familiar room of my brother-in-law's home.

https://mic.com/articles/157415/my-firs ... .UYe7yDnXy

OK, so it is not real, and you can just stop playing, but why should you?
The behaviour is real and it is not acceptable anywhere, the question is, is it covered by any existing law, or are we going to need new ones?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Virtual Assault.

Postby atticus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:40 pm

First things first, the text at the end of that piece suggests it may be a work of fiction.

Second, if this online game has any governing body or regulator, the way forward might be to report it. Do people not sign up to ts and cs when they join these things?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:31 pm

atticus wrote:First things first, the text at the end of that piece suggests it may be a work of fiction.

Er, yes Atti, virtual reality does tend to be fiction... :roll:

Second, if this online game has any governing body or regulator, the way forward might be to report it. Do people not sign up to ts and cs when they join these things?

It is up a few notches from any online gaming I have done, but I've never seen much in the way of any governing body... I would expect the game host has some duty of care in this respect, but how would you go about enforcing it?
The gamers are probably nearly as easy to physically identify as the spammers are on this forum.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:38 pm

I was talking about the article to which you posted a link - the words that someone had written.

Spammers on this forum get deleted. Their IP addresses are blocked. The mods here do things like that. Game players who break the rules can no doubt be given similar sanctions.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:53 pm

atticus wrote:I was talking about the article to which you posted a link - the words that someone had written.

It could be fiction, does it matter? If such incidents are not actually happening already, then they very likely will be in due course.

Spammers on this forum get deleted. Their IP addresses are blocked. The mods here do things like that.

They do, and then they come in on another IP address and do it again.

Game players who break the rules can no doubt be given similar sanctions.

Do you think that is sufficient?
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:41 pm

It is neither necessary nor appropriate to criminalise every aspect of everyday life.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:32 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:It is neither necessary nor appropriate to criminalise every aspect of everyday life.

Imagine it was your daughter and tell me if it should be criminalised.
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:57 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:It is neither necessary nor appropriate to criminalise every aspect of everyday life.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby dls » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:07 am

SS is correct.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby diy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:39 am

Who says its unacceptable? Why can't people explore their fantasy online. In a world with games like GTA, you either accept that its harmless fantasy or you draw a line through quite a lot of games that are out there.

Ever seen the Bruce Willis 2015 film - Vice?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Next

Return to Other Law