Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Death threats in jest...

Re: Death threats in jest...

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:11 pm

Or perhaps it was just a joke. Jeez.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:43 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Or perhaps it was just a joke. Jeez.

Quite likely so, but where and how do we draw the line?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:15 am

Hairyloon wrote:
Smouldering Stoat wrote:Or perhaps it was just a joke. Jeez.

Quite likely so, but where and how do we draw the line?

In order to draw the line it is necessary to deprive the person threatened of their victim status which is almost a crime in itself these days.

In any event, the offence of making threats to kill is rarely charged. More often it is some sort of malicious communication offence.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby shootist » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:50 pm

On the other hand...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-38317527

An unusual sort of pension plan maybe?

A "dangerous" prisoner who wrote letters threatening to kill people and have sex with their corpses has been jailed for 45 years.
Richard Ford, 38, was serving a 30-month sentence for possessing a knife when he made the threats from his cell.
A judge passed the "highly unusual" sentence after hearing of Ford's fear he would enact his "sadistic urges".
He acknowledged the term "may be controversial" but said it was necessary to protect the public.
Ford, who has spent most of the last 14 years in jail, was being held at HMP Nottingham last January when he passed a series of notes to prison officers containing a list of potential victims.

He named several prison officers, a fellow inmate, a district judge, a police officer and a former partner.
Sentencing at Lincoln Crown Court, Judge Michael Heath told Ford, who admitted ten charges of making a threat to kill, the case had caused him "very considerable anxiety".
He said Ford, who had expressed a desire to never be released from prison, was "plainly dangerous" and "would pose a grave and immediate danger to the public".
But, the judge said, he was bound under the law to pass a sentence which was not "wholly disproportionate" to the offence of making threats to kill, which carries a maximum ten-year jail term.
"Achieving both of these aims in this case is impossible," he said.
The judge imposed a mix of consecutive and concurrent nine-year jail terms, adding up to a total of 45 years.
"I realise that the overall length of the sentences I am going to pass is highly unusual and may be controversial but I pass them because I deem them to be the only adequate way to protect the public in your case," he said.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby dls » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:50 pm

Unusual, but effective
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:45 pm

I bet he gets a private cell too.
shootist

Postby Subject » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:25 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Quite likely so, but where and how do we draw the line?

St. Theresa of May will give you her pen, when you pry it from her cold, dead hands.
"...I could have written all your lines..."
Subject

Previous

Return to Other Law