Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Fit to work?

Fit to work?

Postby dls » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:27 pm

Statistics released by the Department for Work and Pensions on Thursday show that 2,380 people died between December 2011 and February 2014 shortly after a work capability assessment (WCA) found they were able to work.

It is unlikely to be that the assessment led to the deaths, but it may easily suggest that the assessments were substantially inaccurate.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Fit to work?

Postby shootist » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Being dead is no great bar to being employed by local government.

(Sorry, bad joke)
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:40 pm

some of those deaths may have been totally unforeseeable to those doing the assessments, eg being struck by lightning. The statement needs to be probed.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:59 pm

dls wrote:
Statistics released by the Department for Work and Pensions on Thursday show that 2,380 people died between December 2011 and February 2014 shortly after a work capability assessment (WCA) found they were able to work.

It is unlikely to be that the assessment led to the deaths...

In some cases they have been the straw on the camel leading to suicide.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:05 pm

all of which goes to show that the raw figures require closer study.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:14 pm

atticus wrote:all of which goes to show that the raw figures require closer study.

I am sure that they will be. But ought they not have been already studied by the DWP?
If they had put the same effort into looking at them that they did in trying to conceal them, then many lessons could have been learned.
Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Vox political. Known number of deaths while claiming incapacity benefits nears 100,000.
The Department for Work and Pensions has admitted defeat in its attempt to hide the number of people who have died while claiming incapacity benefits since November 2011 – and has announced that the number who died between January that year and February 2014 is a shocking 91,740.

This represents an increase to an average of 47.5 deaths per day or 334 per week, between the start of December 2011 and the end of February 2014 – compared with 32 deaths per day/222 per week between January and November 2011.

The DWP has strenuously asserted that “any causal effect between benefits and mortality cannot be assumed from these statistics”.

It is correct to make this point.

The DWP has also claimed that “these isolated figures provide limited scope for analysis and nothing can be gained from this publication that would allow the reader to form any judgement as to the effects or impacts of the Work Capability Assessment”.

However, the increase in the frequency of these deaths is enough to raise questions about the way the incapacity benefit system is being run – questions that demand full, frank and immediate answers.

For example, the work-related activity group is composed entirely of people who are expected to recover from their illnesses and be well enough to return to work within a year. In that group, there should be no deaths at all – barring accidents. Why have nearly 10,000 people lost their lives after being assigned there?

Deaths in the support group and the assessment phase are more problematic because they involve people who do have serious illnesses, many of whom may be expected to die while claiming. But are these deaths being hastened artificially by the DWP’s treatment of them?

32 deaths/day up to 47.5 is one heck of an increase which needs proper investigation.
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:44 pm

The figure sounds high (and probably is) but as a number on its own it's hard to interpret: there is no denominator. 2,380 out of how many? How does the mortality rate compare with comparable groups? How have the mortality rates in those groups changed?

Drawing conclusions about rates of change from two data points is pointless (pun intended). The earlier point could have been unusually low and it has now regressed to the mean.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:14 pm

The only conclusion we have drawn is that the matter should be looked at in more detail... Though I think it also fair to conclude the DWP are extremely dodgy.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:19 pm

The latter conclusion may be the right one; but it cannot be said to be based on any evidence so far shown in this thread.
atticus

Next

Return to Benefits