Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Fit to work?

Re: Fit to work?

Postby dls » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:03 am

Another point which arises is that people often complain at the system, pointing out that so many people appeal.

What the article suggests is that since the benefits are continued by the lodging of an appeal, the number appealing may itself be no surprise.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:15 am

All the more reason to make the appeal process swift and effective.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Boo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:22 pm

dls wrote:
What the article suggests is that since the benefits are continued by the lodging of an appeal, the number appealing may itself be no surprise.

Unless a condition has got worse or there's a claim for a new condition, claimants' ESA benefits do not now continue. The are of course a few exceptions. but it's not as clear cut as it once was.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Boo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:31 pm

I remember being asked to fill out some data regarding benefits and deaths of clients.

I'm more interested to know how many alcohol related deaths there have been after alcohol dependent claimants were awarded thousands of pounds in back pay.
I can think of many of my clients who died after receiving crazy amounts of money.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:35 pm

Boo wrote:I'm more interested to know how many alcohol related deaths there have been after alcohol dependent claimants were awarded thousands of pounds in back pay.

You could ask... or we could put the idea to the people that fought the fight for the information we are discussing. OTOH, it doesn't make a good story: too many consider alcoholism to be self inflicted.

On the bright side:
The UN is to visit the UK to investigate whether Iain Duncan Smith’s welfare reforms have caused “grave or systematic violations” of disabled peoples’ human rights, it has been reported.

A leading disability charity says that they have been contacted by the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities as part of an investigation into human rights abuses against disabled people in the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 78536.html[/quote]
Hairyloon

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:54 pm

Hairyloon wrote:On the bright side:
The UN is to visit the UK to investigate whether Iain Duncan Smith’s welfare reforms have caused “grave or systematic violations” of disabled peoples’ human rights, it has been reported.

A leading disability charity says that they have been contacted by the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities as part of an investigation into human rights abuses against disabled people in the UK.

Omigod, not the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities...? I really can't see their opinion counting for anything, unfortunately.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby miner » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:08 pm

Nice useless little jolly for about a dozen UN employees, travelling first-class and eating gourmet meals, all at the expense of the USA.

The sooner the UN is disbanded, the better.
miner

Postby atticus » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:21 pm

Let's make a list of organisations of which we approve.

To get the ball rolling, I nominate Médecins Sans Frontières.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:16 pm

A fine suggestion, but I fear it would derail the thread... except that it is already off the rails, so RNLI.
Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Boo wrote:I'm more interested to know how many alcohol related deaths there have been after alcohol dependent claimants were awarded thousands of pounds in back pay.
I can think of many of my clients who died after receiving crazy amounts of money.

Aside from not screwing up in the first place, what would you have had them do?
Once it has been decided that the money was owed, what else can they do but pay it to them?
I can think of a number of things that could be done, but none that sit well as something enforced by the DWP.
Hairyloon

PreviousNext

Return to Benefits