Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

I've had a bright idea!

I've had a bright idea!

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:09 pm

dls wrote:he can give the discussion into a career of its own and most of the rest of his life for the next couple of years.

That is a proposal I was musing on: set up a company to help people being screwed over by the DWP, and take on people from the Work Programme to do the helping...
Last edited by atticus on Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The above was moved from another thread, to prevent that thread being further derailed (text not edited).
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: I've had a bright idea!

Postby Slartibartfast » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:16 pm

I do not think that the DWP would grant Work Programme approval for such 'employment'. Of what use is an apprenticeship in tilting at windmills, where would those skills be valuable in the employment marketplace?

(There might be potential for a reputable body like CAB to create a training stream for finance & benefit advisors - perhaps they already do that.)
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby Boo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:30 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
dls wrote:he can give the discussion into a career of its own and most of the rest of his life for the next couple of years.

That is a proposal I was musing on: set up a company to help people being screwed over by the DWP

Now I remember giving someone the heads up about doing this just after the Welfare Reform Bill and before a gazillion advice and support centres opened up. They decided not to run with the idea. A shame as funding at the time was available.

CAB in my area only deal with housing related benefits but next door to them is a busy office dealing with DWP benefit issues.

I believe JCP are cutting jobs as UC gets pooled out to various benefit claimants.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Slartibartfast » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:07 am

Boo wrote:I believe JCP are cutting jobs as UC gets pooled out to various benefit claimants.

They might get a look at life from the other side of the counter. I wonder if they'll be happy with what they get?
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby Mrhilter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:35 pm

You read my mind Hairy. I was thinking of the same thing.

A voluntary organisation that employs workfare unemployed to work from home. Among other things their job is to send out e-mails and petition against companies that employ workfare. The governments initiative would be dead if they can find no company willing to exploit free labour due to all the bad publicity they get.

I was thinking of crowdfunding the project too, and seeing if it's possible to set up multiple franchises around the country. The crowdfunding money would be used to pay for the liability insurance and individual websites.

I think as long as the work that these voluntary groups undertake is mixed, and for the greater good of the public, then the Job Centre will accept them without too much fuss. I don't believe they are so competent they will be aware that they are having the rug pulled from underneath them until it's too late.

I think it would b possible to recruit thousands of applicants this way.

Although I suspect that such libertarianism will not go down well here.

Of what use is an apprenticeship in tilting at windmills
A wonderfully quixotic metaphor Slart, but I don't believe that those huge corporations that capitalise from workfare to be an imagined enemy. I believe them to be very real. Perhaps you should take a look at some of the stories on the Boycott Workfare website to see the reality of workfare,

http://www.boycottworkfare.org/

specifically where it has been exploiting those with mental disabilities, forcing them to work for poundstores for free. I have personally witnessed this in my high street and I think it is reprehensible.
Mrhilter

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:58 am

Slartibartfast wrote:I do not think that the DWP would grant Work Programme approval for such 'employment'.

I imagine that they would not, but I think they would not have lawful grounds to refuse.
Of what use is an apprenticeship in tilting at windmills, where would those skills be valuable in the employment marketplace?

The base line for skills acquisition is stacking shelves at the supermarket, and wind energy is a growth industry: windmill tilters are likely to be very much in demand in the not too distant future.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Boo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:35 am

Mrhilter wrote:
specifically where it has been exploiting those with mental disabilities, forcing them to work for poundstores for free. I have personally witnessed this in my high street and I think it is reprehensible.

Have you asked them if they feel exploited?
If you have and they've said yes, have you suggested they look at other placements or apply for Employment Support Allowance with the focus of going into the support group? Will you help them make a claim for this benefit?
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Boo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:42 am

Hairyloon wrote:The base line for skills acquisition is stacking shelves at the supermarket,

Let's not demean people who shelf stack. It's a physically demanding role and obviously not suited to the work shy.

Whenever I've seen employees in supermarkets stacking shelves I notice they have a great deal of patience dealing with customers who are not perhaps the easiest of people to deal with. I often see them have a great craic with with their work colleagues.

In my last job we had two people on work placements. They helped out in the office for a few months and one was taken on full time.
She had the right attitude.
Boo

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:54 am

There have been times in my life when I'd have killed for a job stacking shelves (and as it happens I earned my first wage packet doing so). I suppose it is an easy job to look down on. Don't knock it till you've done it.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Boo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:23 am

Why don't those who bleat about workfare and how some are exploited spend their energy sourcing work placements in unis, colleges, councils, energy firms, hotels, construction firms, model agencies, beauty salons, sales..? The list is endless.
Boo

Next

Return to Benefits