Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

More nonsense.

More nonsense.

Postby Boo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:04 pm

A client receives an overpayment letter from his local authority asking for almost £2000. Their intention was to claw back the money form the current housing benefit claim - which would mean they would have a weekly shortfall to pay their accommodation provider. leaving them with very little to manage from their benefit income.

On closer inspection. The client was in prison on remand at the time. They remained in prison throughout the trial and was convicted and sentenced to x amount of years.
Alarm bells go off. The client already had a claim for housing benefit in place. In some circumstances housing benefit payment can remain in place for up to 13 weeks when a claimant is away from their property.
I contacted the local authority on their behalf in the hope of buying some time so we could come up with the relevant information.

I'd been banging my head against a brick wall wondering how we could prove they were on remand. We went to CAB - they'd not had a case of this nature before so suggested getting in touch with Nacro.
Nacro's phone has been ringing out and Shelter are soooooo busy it's nigh on impossible to speak to an advisor. I rang Unlock who said they couldn't help.

The local authority emailed me to ask whether I was working on the client's behalf regarding their issue. I replied yes and scanned relevant waivers of confidentiality etc. I've been waiting for ages for them to come back to me.

They sent a letter to the client instead. The letter was kept on file until today when a member of staff at his lodgings I was visiting said, "Oh Boo, a letter came for X from the Council".

So we have two days to produce evidence they were remanded during the disputed time. Damn!

Their Offender Manager did not have any dates when the client was remanded and didn't know how to get them. Really?

This evening I had a brainwave. Occasionally they happen! I typed the client's name into a search engine and hey presto - the dates of their remand and sentence were there in black and white, written in a court write up. It also mentions the address of their former property that the overpayment relates to. Booyah!

So, just to be sure, we're going to see the firm of Solicitors that dealt with their case. They'd better come up trumps. On pretty headed paper too!

What bothers me is that there could be thousands of ex offenders who have fallen into this mess and paid their local authority money they didn't need to.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Re: More nonsense.

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:49 pm

What bothers me is that it is simply such a mess. How much has it cost to make such a mess and then clear it up?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Slartibartfast » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:10 am

You can't put a price on this vital work, HL. What's important is that the lower classes are kept in a state of penurious anxiety.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby Boo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:47 pm

The client received a letter today. The local authority will not be pursuing the overpayment.

Boo 1-0 Local Authority!

:D
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby 3.14 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:38 pm

Boo wrote:The client received a letter today. The local authority will not be pursuing the overpayment.

Boo 1-0 Local Authority!

:D

That's a good score.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby atticus » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:24 am

Excellent, well done :D
atticus

Postby dls » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:40 am

Only 1-0?

You underestimate yourself.