Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

What kind of new hell is this?

Re: What kind of new hell is this?

Postby shootist » Fri May 02, 2014 11:13 am

Hairyloon wrote:It is not really the central issue.
She made it clear that he ban is excessive, and the point is that there is no regulation of such a ban...

She made it clear that she thought the ban was excessive. That is an entirely different matter altogether. No doubt the man in question thought it excessive too, but did the staff, who had to endure his attitude, also think this? I would suggest that is the central issue.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby shootist » Fri May 02, 2014 11:37 am

Boo wrote:
shootist wrote:
Boo wrote:What abuse? What do you know that I don't?

Because he' can be difficult to engage with and is not particularly compliant, should not imply he's abusive.

Then perhaps you could have made that clearer.

why?

I'm quite cautious about posting real life issues on public forums. I don't want certain things to come back to bite me.
Sometimes, less is more.

But it seemed you were happy to assume from the off he was the type to be abusive.
Perhaps, you've allowed pessimism to cloud your judgements on reality.

The measures put in place by this particular security company are to protect the staff and public who use the building.

The reality is, some members of this security company are overstepping the mark. As I've already said, I've witnessed an incident.
The consequences are - individuals are banned from the building and losing benefit they're entitled to.

Unfortunately, some who wear a uniform and are poorly paid tend to lose all sense of proportion.

Sometimes, less is more.

But mostly, less is less. The dish you served is definitely less, and prepared to your taste only.

But..

I'm sorry. It seems that you did make this clearer.

Over the course of 12 months he has received many sanctions.

OK, he's not the most compliant individual and can be bloody difficult to engage with

The jobcentre ban notices (which are not signed by a named officer) said they were banned for verbal and written abuse and behaviour “which was totally unacceptable”

That paints a picture.

Then there are your opinions. Are they much like your esteemed colleague...

On a side note, my work colleague's mobile work phone was barred from contacting the DWP after a heated call relating to a client's benefit claim.

The reality is, some members of this security company are overstepping the mark. As I've already said, I've witnessed an incident.

That's your 'reality'. The security company may be overstepping the mark, or they may have it bang on and it's your client who is doing the overstepping. That's their 'reality'. Perhaps, you've allowed your bias towards your client, and your opinions of people who wear uniforms, to cloud your judgements on reality.

Now, of course, you could be perfectly correct in everything you say, but there is a picture painted here. If the department / office is as bad as you say then there are steps that can be taken, other than 'heated calls' to remedy the situation.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby dls » Fri May 02, 2014 12:09 pm

The point is that there is a probably unidentifiable point of balance to be found between the right of workers in an overworked office to work in a safe environment, and of users/clients/patients often with difficulties expressing themselves to be able to express frustration at the difficulties of dealing with an overworked office.

The right thing is that any such office should have an obligation to provide something equivalent to an appeal procedure.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Fri May 02, 2014 2:30 pm

dls wrote:The point is that there is a probably unidentifiable point of balance to be found between the right of workers in an overworked office to work in a safe environment, and of users/clients/patients often with difficulties expressing themselves to be able to express frustration at the difficulties of dealing with an overworked office.

That the jobcentres are overworked is a pretty poor excuse of an excuse.

Would not a simple step be to reduce the workload of the overworked office?
The government expects the jobcentre to put a lot of effort into giving claimants a hard time, if they simply did a lot less of this then everybody would benefit.

Or perhaps the jobcentres should hire some slaves off "the Work Programme"?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Fri May 02, 2014 3:42 pm

Reducing workloads requires additional resources.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Fri May 02, 2014 3:45 pm

atticus wrote:Reducing workloads requires additional resources.

Not always. Sometimes it just involves not doing unnecessary work. Or doing the work more efficiently,
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Boo » Fri May 02, 2014 11:24 pm

@shooter..
I see you've been quote mining!

Now, of course, you could be perfectly correct in everything you say, but there is a picture painted here. If the department / office is as bad as you say then there are steps that can be taken, other than 'heated calls' to remedy the situation.

That was in reference to the DWP, not the local JCP+ - keep up.

My job involves inter agency working with the local JCP+ staff. But that will mean jack to you.

I can assure you there is zero bias. I'm not one for flogging dead horses.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby shootist » Sat May 03, 2014 7:39 am

Boo wrote:@shooter..
I see you've been quote mining!

That was in reference to the DWP, not the local JCP+ - keep up.

My job involves inter agency working with the local JCP+ staff. But that will mean jack to you.

I can assure you there is zero bias. I'm not one for flogging dead horses.

You want me to keep up? :roll:

Ignoring for a moment your efforts to be as casually offensive as Atticus by referring to me as 'shooter', efforts I doubt you could match...

A professional should not be making any calls so heated to any department that their number is blocked. If they make such a call to one department then they're likely to do so to another. And how very observant to see I'm quoting you, and skilful you try and minimise your quote by focussing on it's use rather than on it's content. Of course your job description in the above quote means 'jack' to me for 'jack' is all that has been said about it by you. Of course you will assure me there is zero bias, notwithstanding that you are likely the only human being in the world who can approach any situation in which you re actively involved without a trace of personal bias.

In all, not one of your better efforts, if better is the word.
shootist

Postby Boo » Sat May 03, 2014 2:07 pm

I was using a hand held device. Shootist is not recognised in my keyboard dictionary. And that's atticus with a small 'a', btw.

Limited information is given purposefully on this open internet board for very obvious reasons. That is encouraged by Admin - see the rules.
I note you are a relatively open book in cyber space - that may be down to the fact there is little comeback for you.

Sheesh. Talk about stating the bleedin' obvious.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Previous

Return to Benefits