Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Damian Green

Judicial review, activities of government, local and national etc.

Re: Damian Green

Postby atticus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 am

According to news reports this morning, the present Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police is not impressed with the conduct of these former officers. It seems that Sir Robert Mark's allegedly famous memorandum may not reflect current thinking at the top of the Met.

As I said,there are many more questions than answers.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:48 am

Or it may be only applicable to serving police officers. I think though that here that memo is being taken out of context.
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:46 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
Nadine Dorries‏ MP
My staff log onto my computer on my desk with my login everyday. Including interns on exchange programmes. For the officer on @BBCNews just now to claim that the computer on Greens desk was accessed and therefore it was Green is utterly preposterous !!

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/statu ... 7572803590

Apparently this is fairly common practice in the House. In most organisations that would be a sackable misconduct and I am moved to wonder if any of this would be an offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/18/contents.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:55 pm

What elements of the Act do you say have been contravened? Unauthorised access by someone authorised to have access?
atticus

Postby shootist » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Possibly authorised access by someone unauthorised to have access?
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:59 pm

If the person authorising the access does not have the authority to authorise the access then the authority is unauthorised as is any access authorised by it.

However, I did note that where most Acts would say "knows or ought to have known", this Act omits the "ought to have" bit which may give them a let out.
Hairyloon

Postby shootist » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Hairyloon wrote:If the person authorising the access does not have the authority to authorise the access then the authority is unauthorised as is any access authorised by it.

You are Atticus and I claim my £5-00.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Postby atticus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 pm

I do not use sockpuppets.
atticus

Postby Goldensyrup » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:29 pm

“We’re aware of reports that MPs share logins and passwords and are making enquiries of the relevant parliamentary authorities,” said a spokesman for the Information Commissioner.

"In the meantime, we would remind MPs and others of their obligations under the Data Protection Act to keep personal data secure.” ICO 04.12.17.

Data protection rules for House of Commons Staff state they “must not share your password.

The Information Commissioner said MPs sharing passwords were potentially breaching data protection regulations which are in place to protect digital information.

By receiving personal emails from their constituents, they are in charge of making sure their personal details are kept secret - something that becomes increasingly difficult the more a password login is shared around.
Goldensyrup

Postby dls » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:25 am

Which does not apply univerally when an account is for the MPs commons business. His staff would, entirely properly, need and have access to his mail both in and out.

The particular details do matter
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Administrative Law