Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

No Orgreave Inquiry

Judicial review, activities of government, local and national etc.

Re: No Orgreave Inquiry

Postby Millbrook2 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 am

I recall a friend who was bussed in as part of the police presence saying they were told the drumming on shields had to stop and any other behaviour which contributed to the feeling of 2 sides going into battle. Even if that was what it was some tried to keep the integrity of the police intact.
Millbrook2

Re: No Orgreave Inquiry

Postby shootist » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:34 am

dls wrote:Shootist,

I hope that what came across is that I do not accept the implied theory that 'truth and justice' will not involve severe criticism of the miners. The groups calling for such, unfortunately, give a clear impression that only criticism of the police will do.

Scargill led the miners into violent conflicts. They were prepared to be violent toward 'scabs', and police action was necessary and proper to protect the scabs from miners and to preserve the peace.
At the same time, there is every appearance that there came down from the highest authority in the land instructions that police were to feel free as it were to go over the top. I have over the years spoken to several officers involved in policing the strikes. Privately they do not defend their own behaviour and the behaviour of other officers bussed in from a distance. More than a few welcomed the chance to have a bit of fun and pay off their mortgages at the same time.

Both sides saw it as a chance for a bust up.

My point is that this is not an occasion for a public enquiry. I do not believe that it would have been right to continue to support many of the mines, and without them the communities around them were damned. Somebody had to 'pull the plug' and Thatcher had the courage to do it, and Scargill gave her the perfect opportunity. He made it necessary for Thatcher to do what she did. His was in effect an unannounced attempt to start a revolution.

It should have been done much better. I think that Heseltine later learned his lesson, and did much to help Liverpool to regenerate. I do not think that those around him ever learned teh appropriate lessons.

I could not disagree with a single word you have written above. In fact, I think you are far too sensible and rational to be posting on any forum. You are clearly trying to give internet forums a good name.

Apropos Scargill, I do believe that with a little more effort he would have got all the miners out on strike and there would have been little or no trouble, which is precisely why he didn't want everybody out (IMO). I heard a very good program many years ago now that proposed the idea that Scargill actually saw the miners strike as an opportunity to start a full blown British revolution to bring about some sort if 'ist' state (Communist, Marxist, Scargillist, who knows) with him, naturally, at the helm.

Edit for afterthought.

With regards to police that were bussed in, the Met contingents were absolute pigs of the first water. Corrupt as hell, having bribed supervisors to get on the Units, bully boy thugs, and anything that wasn't nailed down was theirs.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Previous

Return to Administrative Law