Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Do I have to pay company costs?

Re: Do I have to pay company costs?

Postby jantra » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:06 am

aren't the shares (in the company) automatically transferred between lessees? otherwise you could have a former tenant having shares in the company
jantra

Postby dls » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:45 am

That is as it very probably should be and often is, but it is not always the case.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby hairbrush » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:28 am

I can confirm that the company has no obligation to pass on a share to a new owner, but looking back at the history of the company, all the lessees including the original owner of my apartment had shares but each time someone has sold on, the director has refused to issue new ones. The result is that he and a few others have have effectively gained control of the company and are keeping the rest of us out.

Going back to the issue of the invoice, I am not suggesting that all the costs themselves are invalid. The point I am making is that because the invoice total is invalid, the overall invoice is invalid too. The company would need to represent the invoice with the correct total before the lessees would have any legal obligation to pay. I wonder if this is an argument?
hairbrush

Postby atticus » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Why did you not buy a share from the seller when you bought your flat? I would want to look at all documents to see whether issue/transfer of shares can be compelled.

The constitution of a management company like this should say that all flat owners are shareholders, and that on the sale of a flat the share is deemed transferred to the new owner.
atticus

Postby dls » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:42 pm

The company does not pass the share on. it is the outgoing lessee who transfers his share to you. The company should not be issuing new shares. Again - that is the standard arrangement. They differ.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby hairbrush » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:12 pm

The constitution of the company specifically states that a share is not transferable when a property is sold on.
hairbrush

Previous

Return to Company Law