Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Order of Objects

Re: Order of Objects

Postby dls » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:37 pm

HL, you have to be rather more precise in your wording.

Registered charities do not have shareholders.

It is always a constant battle controlling people trying to take advantage of charities. The Commission is underfunded as are many public bodies. It might cost an awful lot more to achieve perfrection.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:15 am

dls wrote:HL, you have to be rather more precise in your wording.

Registered charities do not have shareholders.

Which bit of this was imprecise?
Hairyloon wrote:All charities must have charitable objects, but not all companies with charitable objects are charities.

While this does not actually specify that I wasn't thinking about a registered charity, I think it does suggest that.
It is always a constant battle controlling people trying to take advantage of charities. The Commission is underfunded as are many public bodies.

I conceded the point that the Charity Commission is not a waste of space, but that does not mean that my faith in them is restored: I am wondering about other ways of doing things...
It might cost an awful lot more to achieve perfection.

Perfection is not so hard: you just mould it out of raw fundament. Maintaining perfection is what is difficult...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:51 am

While this does not actually specify that I wasn't thinking about a registered charity, I think it does suggest that.

I had to wonder, which is why I asked for clarity, particularly when the charity commission has no connection with unregistered charities save to the extent that companies claim to be such when they are not.

We are each of us free to perform an occasional charitable act without being jumped on by Charity commission. The whole point of this conversation, latterly, is that a registered charity can only have charitable objects (an explicit restriction).
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:49 am

I thought we only started talking about charities as an example of an explicit restriction, and how such restrictions might be enforced.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Previous

Return to Company Law