Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

authority of management

authority of management

Postby hairbrush » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:01 pm

I own a second flat where there are some issues in the building. The shareholders voted in new officers and agent but I fear the meeting was conducted incorrectly. I am in two minds whether to ignore them or just go along with the charade for an easy life. If I pay the new management my charges, will I lose my right to question their constitutional authority?
hairbrush

Re: authority of management

Postby atticus » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:30 pm

Probably not. But if you want to question the charges, ask those questions before you pay, not after.
atticus

Postby hairbrush » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:29 pm

To put it another way, am I forming an agreement by paying them if I paid before questioning?
hairbrush

Postby atticus » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:15 am

Now matter how you put the question, if you want to question the charges, ask those questions before you pay, not after.
atticus

Postby dls » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:49 am

In other circumstances, a payment is made 'under protest'. Whether that is sustainable in your circumstances may depend upon the terms of the lease.

Very many small freehold management companies are run very sloppily, making decisions which are invalid or just generally poor. It can make life very difficult when anybody wants to sell their apartment.

It is worth never falling out.Take part in the management as a co-operating positive helpful partner. Put aside any personal feelings or misgivings.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Company Law