Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Old age and inevitable deterioration

Sharing whatever else you are up to.

Re: Old age and inevitable deterioration

Postby dls » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:12 pm

It is a questionnaire online.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:19 pm

indeed - that's where I found it.
atticus - a very stable genius
atticus

Postby diy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:36 am

some vague questions though.
"exercise" can mean many things to different people.
but some good insight in to social things that improve life.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:37 am

20 mins exercise that leaves you out of breath seems clear enough to me.
atticus - a very stable genius
atticus

Postby preacherman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:29 am

shootist wrote:That's what I'm looking at. The inevitable is staring me in the face. I now own a pair of slippers, and, God help me, I have just bought a new Macintosh computer. It's the end of days.

speak for yourself heathen! anyway, how come you can decide what computer to purchase and what slippers, but not something so important as Believing in God and your eternal future?

been preparing this as we have some Methodists visiting us today!:

For those who think apostolic Christians were only way back when .i.e. bible times, take a look at a commentary from Adam Clark written at the turn of the last century:

‘I knew a women in the city of Bristol, mrs summer hill, then in the 106 year of her age, she read the smallest print without spectacles and never used any help to decayed sight, when she could not go any longer to a place of worship through the weakness of her limbs, she was accustomed to read over the whole service of the church for each day of the year as it occurred, with all the lessons and psalms. She had been, since its commencement, a member of the Methodist society. She heard Mr John Wesley, the first sermon he preached when he visited Bristol in 1739 and was so struck with his clear manner of preaching the doctrine of justification through faith that for the benefit of hearing one more sermon from this apostolic man she followed him on foot to Portsmouth a journey of 125 miles....she walked 125 miles to hear John Wesley’.

Many Methodists have really taken hold of what Jesus did for us, and how we have been redeemed from the curse of the law and they have out lived many others:

‘Thomas par of winnington in Shropshire far outlived the term in the psalm (he is talking about the 70 or 80 year term) at the age of 88 he married his first wife and had two children!

At the age of 102 he fell in love with Katherine Milton by whom he had an illegitimate child and for which he did penance in the church, so he repented.

There are not many at the age of 102 that can repent of those things... at the age of 120 he married a widow women!, and when he was 130 he could perform any operation of husbandry, that`s digging his allotment you understand. He died at 152 in ad 1635 he had seen 10 kings and queens in England’.
preacherman

Postby shootist » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:36 am

preacherman wrote:speak for yourself heathen! anyway, how come you can decide what computer to purchase and what slippers, but not something so important as Believing in God and your eternal future?

You are mistaken to say that I haven't decided something as important as believing in God and/or my eternal future, because I have. As I have said, IIRC, I concede that it's possible there may be a god of some sort or other. What I am quite certain about is that if there is a god then there is absolutely no evidence that he is a spirit of any goodness whatsoever, and all common sense evidence points to him being an absolute shit, or at the very best being totally indifferent to his creatures, which IMO, looking around this world, amounts to the same thing.

Who wants to spend all eternity worshipping and singing the praises of a god that clearly doesn't give a toss? An eternity of hell might be preferable. Even an eternity passing through Satan's bowels might at least be a change of scenery, and I am certain you might meet far more interesting people there than in Heaven.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby preacherman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:04 pm

I am not mistaken if, and you did, state, your agnostic.
preacherman

Postby shootist » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:37 pm

preacherman wrote:I am not mistaken if, and you did, state, you're agnostic.

NOUN
A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.

or

:a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (such as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly :one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Either way, I have made a decision. If I suspect that any god that might exist he will have much more of the characteristics of the individual you think of as Satan rather than some spiritual infinite tedium of undefined goodness. So, if a God is nice I figure out he will forgive me my sins and would certainly not damn me for all eternity because long ago I encountered some religious incompetent windbag of an idiot who couldn't persuade me to follow beliefs he couldn't explain and in fact persuaded me of the opposite. If OTOH he is the arsehole I think he is more likely to be then there is no good in the eternal future, but at least I would not be shocked when faced with it. A sort of reversal of Pascal's Wager. Either way I will not have to wait that long to find out. I am more inclined to consider that the future holds an eternal good night's kip.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby preacherman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:10 pm

he has forgiven your sins (past tense) correct, in a pending kind of sense....(for God so loved the world he gave his only son whomsoever believes on him shall not perish) Being a whomsoever you could dam yourself though if you fail to believe on the Name of Jesus and receive forgiveness of all your sins (what could be seen as current blasphemy included)

God gave us all authority over the earth, its humans that mess things up, due to the inherent sin. Pharaoh couldn't be persuaded either, so God hardened his heart.

this is quite fascinating, and good job you were not born in the 16th century! :The last person hanged for blasphemy in Great Britain was Thomas Aikenhead aged 20, in Scotland in 1697. He was prosecuted for denying the veracity of the Old Testament and the legitimacy of Christ's miracles.
preacherman

Postby shootist » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:41 pm

preacherman wrote:he has forgiven your sins (past tense) correct, in a pending kind of sense....(for God so loved the world he gave his only son whomsoever believes on him shall not perish) Being a whomsoever you could dam yourself though if you fail to believe on the Name of Jesus and receive forgiveness of all your sins (what could be seen as current blasphemy included)

He may not have forgiven anything idk he's even half as nasty as I think he is. If he exists at all. If he's so nah de dah sensitive over me calling his names (Don't see why he isn't. Everyone is a bloody victim these days). Nice bit of victim blaming there though.

preacherman wrote: gave us all authority over the earth, its humans that mess things up, due to the inherent sin. Pharaoh couldn't be persuaded either, so God hardened his heart.

Right, so he gave us all authority over the earth knowing (being God and all) that we were inevitably going to mess things up. Some god he is. Would you give a two year old a running chainsaw to play with? (I'm tempted to ask if he would let someone like you sign a contract, but that might be considered ill judged, but then, given the eternal mess you seem to be in on legal matters, it could nevertheless be accurate.)

Inherent sin? So, God gives A&E paradise and then tells them don't eat the fruit of that tree, it is definitely not one of your five a day. That tree right there, with those fruit on it, see it, that one, don't eat them. Then a very clever, clearly more clever than A&E snake that god made comes and makes some dietary suggestions which when adopted leads to thousands of years of misery and suffering for people who aren't even related to A&E, having come from the land of Nod IIRC, because God is well pissed off at a bit of scrumping. This is not a god who forgives easily.

preacherman wrote: is quite fascinating, and good job you were not born in the 16th century! :The last person hanged for blasphemy in Great Britain was Thomas Aikenhead aged 20, in Scotland in 1697. He was prosecuted for denying the veracity of the Old Testament and the legitimacy of Christ's miracles.

It certainly is a good job I wasn't born then. My pension alone would have bankrupted the country by now. We don't hang blasphemers here any more, but why not? If it was right then it ought to be right now. But no doubt you would approve of blasphemers being hanged, I mean as a believer you surely must. I don't. Do you?
shootist

PreviousNext

Return to I'm just off to/back from