Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

My youngest lad's graduation ceremony

Sharing whatever else you are up to.

Re: My youngest lad's graduation ceremony

Postby diy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm

wtf is going on here. i hope this is jest and humour.

congrats to the boy on his oligy- now tell him to get a job. lazy friggin students ;)
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Millbrook2 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:52 am

shootist wrote:
Millbrook2 wrote:I was proud to attend my sons graduation from Birmingham University. It was only spoilt by having a small black child carrying the rear of the Chancellors gown.

?

Racist colonialism. The child was dressed in a page boy type uniform (knickerbockers etc)- forgot to mention that.
Millbrook2

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:35 am

Millbrook2 wrote:
shootist wrote:
Millbrook2 wrote:I was proud to attend my sons graduation from Birmingham University. It was only spoilt by having a small black child carrying the rear of the Chancellors gown.

?

Racist colonialism. The child was dressed in a page boy type uniform (knickerbockers etc)- forgot to mention that.

It's usually a white boy though isn't it? Supposedly some kind of honour to be picked for the task?

I think I am not bothered here by the racism, but the nobbiness is a little troubling: we're probably paying them too much.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:13 am

Millbrook2 wrote:
shootist wrote:

?

Did you notice that the chancellor's gown, and the gowns of most other senior figures were somewhat archaic also? In this day and age I think you should be looking a little closer to home for thoughts on racism. How would you feel if a group of children were presented to have one chosen to perform this function to be selected to perform this duty and all the minority racial groups were told they couldn't do it for fear of displaying a racist message. Put that way it sounds bloody preposterous, because it is. You might better consider that it may well have been a brave step on the part of the organisers to risk such pointless condemnation in order to encourage inclusivity. Or perhaps they probably, and properly, ignored the colour of his skin. Would you discourage a black person being employed as a janitor or a road sweeper for fear of suggesting that it's suitable work only for black people? All I can see in your comment is virtue signalling, probably unintentional because it has been forced into everyday life to the point of becoming 'normal' by the bleeding heart self haters who wield such influence today.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:19 am

Valid points both. Please take a deep breath and count to ten.

Thank you.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:48 am

Shooter, I agree (except for the last sentence). Knees are often jerked without sufficient thought.
atticus

Postby Millbrook2 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:16 am

It was actually 20 years ago - different times? I cannot claim it actually was racism. It was just my reaction and the comments about that are valid as is the comment about inclusivity.
Millbrook2

Postby Russell » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:59 am

Well you can now retrospectively enjoy the celebration.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Previous

Return to I'm just off to/back from