Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

the sea lift

Sharing whatever else you are up to.

the sea lift

Postby diy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:04 pm

A genius bit of kit that uses nothing more than compressed air to lift you out of the water using tanks that hold water and air to make the platform sink and rise. Needed for a scrub and clean.

I also managed to take advantage of the amazing wind and sun today.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Re: the sea lift

Postby atticus » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Can't you get out of the water yourself?

Nice picture of a boat.
atticus

Postby Russell » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Looks a nice boat what is it? I use to sail, around a reservoir. You might be able answer some questions I have because its hard to workout online. I want to hire a boat (in the future) to sail around the UK. Mainly to visit the uninhabited Islands. I know I'd need a licence to be able to do this but its not clear what this entails. Is there a guide you could sign post me to? Would be appreciated :)
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby diy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:50 am

Most charter companies in the U.K. require RYA day skipper Theory and practical along with VHF radio. They also (and here is the catch 22) want to see a log showing you've skippered similar sized boats. Both courses are 5 days and the radio course is 1 day. You should do your practical in tidal waters to avoid a license restriction. Expect to spend about £1200 on the training.

It may work out cheaper to gather a team together and buy a boat for the job. Unless you plan to do it one week at a time. There are a few charity races / events that do some of this so you could try getting a crew position on one of them.
diy

Postby Russell » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:40 pm

Cheers its so difficult to work that out online :) Will be a few years yet, but it will happen :)
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby diy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:05 pm

There is a Facebook group called something like last minute crew wanted/available. Its mostly race crews, looking for experienced race crew, but sometimes you get people needing some help. They normally want competent crew qualification (5 days), but if you've done skipper its covered to some degree.

The other option is to find a skipper who does yacht deliveries and see if you can tag a long to learn. I'm not sure what islands you are planning to visit and even if they have yacht havens, but you'd need to consider this. Being anchored in choppy water is a very unpleasant experience and not something I can do for more than an hour or so. The ideal boat for your adventure would be a nice heavy long keel boat, not a cruiser/racer like the above.

Long keels are a bit harder to manoeuvre, but they are great in rougher seas.
diy

Postby Russell » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:12 am

Thanks for the feedback. More complex than I thought, but isn't everything. I will have a look into those things. Many thanks :)
Russell

Return to I'm just off to/back from