Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Getting Gabby

Sharing whatever else you are up to.

Getting Gabby

Postby atticus » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:19 pm

I have just been to collect the newest member of our family.

Gabby* is a 5 year old retired racing greyhound. she is black, with a white thrroat and white on her paws. A calm, placid dog that we have got to know well over the last few weeks.

She is now just pottering around our house and garden, getting used to the place. She seems to be settling in quickly. I shall take her for a walk soon.

*not her racing name. She raced 91 times, winning 17.
atticus

Re: Getting Gabby

Postby miner » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Gabby for PM - she won 17 times!
miner

Postby Russell » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:21 pm

We went looking for our first ever dog today. Early stages, still need to get fencing etc :) Greyhound seems a good choice, see a few today. But SO many staffs :( Terrible these young people are getting them only to fill the centres to bursting.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:00 pm

I agree about the staffies - all the local dog rehoming charities have loads of them. Greyounds are lovely and gentle dogs, but they are big.

You do need 6 foot fencing all round. We had the hedge cut hard back on the inside and 6' stock fencing put in. The hedge will grow back through. We also had fences and gates put in by the sides of the house.

Gabby seems to be settling in nicely. She's found her bed. Gets up every few minutes to say hello and potter round the ground floor and garden.
atticus

Postby diy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:56 pm

My kids are in the borrow my doggy scheme and we regularly have dogs to stay. We have a brown lab, (1 year old) she's lovely except for one bad habit (poo eating). Enjoy your hound, they are lovely dogs.

Might we see a pic of the new pooch?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:17 pm

et voici ...
Attachments
image.png
image.png (324.18 KiB) Viewed 259 times
atticus

Postby Russell » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Yes we wanted something smaller or they would certainly be on our potential list. Beautiful dog :)
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby diy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:55 am

she looks lovely
diy

Postby atticus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:28 am

She's a big girl. Her head rests on the kitchen table. She has never been around people eating before. We're having to train her to behave when we eat. We'd rather not shut her in the utility room when we eat.

Right now I'm taking a quick break from some work. I'm drafting a complicated contract at the kitchen table. Gabby is just chilling on the floor next to me.
atticus

Postby diy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:49 am

Ah, the old where do I fit in the pack game and is anyone's position weak.. I'm not a dog person, but I don't mind them around. Its easy to give off signals that you aren't the boss.

Right now, I'm contemplating a second strong coffee or to go to the gym for a few hours. I think I'd rather sit on the sofa.
diy

Return to I'm just off to/back from