Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Setting a baby bird free

Sharing whatever else you are up to.

Setting a baby bird free

Postby atticus » Mon May 08, 2017 9:27 pm

Most years I rescue one or two small birds from our greenhouse. They find their way in, and then can't get out. I've had baby blackbirds, pigeons, starlings, greenfinch ...

This evening it was a baby sparrow. Tiny bird, weighing nothing, so soft in my hands.

I took it outside, opened my hand, and off it flew.
atticus

Re: Setting a baby bird free

Postby 3.14 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:31 pm

That is so sweet. With a couple of cats and a surviving kitten, such a bird would not survive.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby dls » Mon May 08, 2017 10:05 pm

We had a jackdaw in the house a few weeks ago. Not pretty or small or attractive.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Tue May 09, 2017 8:04 am

We had a little owl come down the chimney a couple of years ago. It didn't bring a letter.
atticus

Postby Russell » Wed May 10, 2017 11:04 pm

On the topic of birds. We have a super bird killing cat. She once caught a fly between her paws. Anyway, she was single handlerly wiping out the local bird population. So I was looking at ways to prevent this and I noticed her bell was terrible, it was tiny and made no noise. Clearly it had been made to be a bell but the cheapest most unless bell possible. In the end we had to put her in 3 good quality bells before the death stopped (mice are getting it now :( ).

Anyway, I was wondering how you might go about ensuring that cat collar bells have to meet a minimum standard? Write to your MP? It is likey that a law would cover such an issue, or would this be more a put pressure on retailer issue?
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby Russell » Wed May 10, 2017 11:09 pm

Or if the bell isn't fit for purpose is it a consumer violation?
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Thu May 11, 2017 5:52 am

Your psychopathic moggy should not be let out without a muzzle.
atticus

Return to I'm just off to/back from