Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Andorra (Skiing)

Sharing whatever else you are up to.

Andorra (Skiing)

Postby Russell » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:14 am

This is more so an advert for the sport I do, as an off shoot of the swimming thread.

I'd never considered learning to ski. However, we moved to somewhere with a dry slope not far, so I thought we'd give a go. It was a disaster, my OH couldn't stop and over shot our group, and skied down another groups slope and fell over. She was so bad we had to quite for the day. However, as I'm really cruel, I booked us some private lessons. And over the course of a year on and off, we learnt to ski. In fact the OH is now maybe stages more advanced than me. Its great exercise (especially on a dry slope) but it also doesn't feel like exercise.

So we finally, after putting it off many times went skiing a few weeks ago, to Andorra. We felt like total impostors as its hard to believe you can ski miles down a mountain when you've only done 120 meters max indoors. But we progressed very quickly from green, to blue, to red. It's a bit of a weird experience because you get to learn so much and have so much practice but by the end of the holiday your legs are gone and you're skiing like a beginner.

On returning were already planning to ski in Scotland for a few days next week. It's so addictive. I'd highly recommend it to anyone, unless you need your legs to earn your living.

Anyone else skied? Or thought about trying it?
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Re: Andorra (Skiing)

Postby atticus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:32 pm

I used to have some beautiful K2 skis. 204 cm. I once did the Val Gardena downhill course without stopping. I took about 5 minutes 30 seconds - the pros take just under 2 minutes. My thighs were in agony by the end.
atticus

Postby Russell » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:34 pm

If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:17 pm

That's the one.

I found these photos of "my" skis. This pair is on eBay described as "vintage". I bought mine in Val d'Isère in 1986.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (32.31 KiB) Viewed 145 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (42.74 KiB) Viewed 145 times
atticus

Postby Russell » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:49 am

Okay that's a whole new level :o Must be exhilarating to ski those types of courses at that speed. But yes the legs, they suffer!

Where did you learn? And do you still ski?
Russell

Postby atticus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:46 am

I went skiing most years from 1982 to 1995. 1995 was the last time. I learned in small resorts in Italy. Favourite place to ski is Val d'Isère/Tignes - when you get to feel confident go to Tignes and ski the piste by the Aiguille Percée.

The maddest thing I ever did was the Grand Couloir in Courchevel. Narrow, steep, endless big moguls. Once was enough, never again!

Edit: I have just watched that video. When I did it, I never went fast enough to get airborne over the bumps and sudden dips. And 1:45! When I used to watch Ski Sunday religiously, the winning times were 1:58/59. Unless for some daft reason they have shortened the course. I remember a long straight section at the beginning.
atticus

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2017 1:20 am

Will keep that in mind when planning the next trip. Cheers :)

We tried a SkiPlex the other day. Its a giant treadmill you ski on. What a great learning tool, mirror in front of you and instructor as well. Although, its odd to start with, you snowplough to go backwards :o
Russell

Postby dls » Fri May 05, 2017 9:30 am

Having been self employed for most of my life, skiing always seemed an unnecessary risk.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2017 11:20 am

You're a worker of the mind, a leg in plaster could be a production boost. I'm not sure what the stats are but you certainly see a steady stream of people carted off. But its hard to equate it to a feeling of risk. I think skiing within your ability and under supervision until your capable mitigates most of the risk. When away I see a newbie, clearly only learning the very basics the snowplough and they were at the top of the mountain. Their holiday was over, even if she made it to the bottom her legs would be gone. But there is no supervision to tell her that.
Russell

Return to I'm just off to/back from