Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Sharing whatever else you are up to.

Re: Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Postby b1969 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:12 am

dls wrote:There is much good learning available on t'net.

swim.tv ...

I'm guessing that should probably be goswim.tv rather than the swimwear outlet? ;-)

I have tried for years teach myself front crawl: I simply can't do it. I can swim breaststroke perfectly adequately, with underwater breathing, but cannot do the same with front crawl. I have reached the conclusion I need some tuition - as with all types of sports/exercise, things come easier to some people than others, and sometimes tuition is the only way to improve. I am (was) a good and natural footballer and cricketer, but a donkey needing help when it comes to, say, golf, or skiing.
b1969

Postby diy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:48 am

I had a friend who was a rather good champion swimmer. She made me swim without arms to start, then only arms every 3rd stroke and gradually allowed me to bring them in normally once I was swimming less like a seal. In one hour she improved my pace by about 30%. It meant in triathlon I didn't have to work quite so hard in the cycle to make up for my poor running and swimming ability.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby dls » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:38 pm

I have tried for years teach myself front crawl: I simply can't do it.

I do not believe it - though yes you may need assistance.

The best place for starting to learn front crawl is Total Immersion. Their book has several pre-crawl exercises to master in order. They work, though they work only if you work at them.

Are you able to say what your difficulty is?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Boo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Unlike Jorge, I don't have a pool!

I have always been a water baby. But I don't swim as much as I'd like to now due to work pressures. I've always been a sprint swimmer. My nickname was torpedo!
As a kid I always had access to local outdoor pools. Swimming came before anything. And when i wasn't in the water, I'd be on a balanced plank of wood or stool perfecting balance and arms moves.

It's difficult to make recommendations without seeing an individual in action in the pool. But as already said there are videos on t'internet.

As for my tips; On the days you don't swim - build on your core strength.
Get a gym mat - do some stretches - squats - maybe use arm and leg weights. Go for a bike ride. Go hill walking. Do more stretches. Build on reps. Keep a journal if that helps. Stretch in bed before you go to sleep and when you wake up in the morning. It's good at releasing tension in the body.

Get in the pool - mess about - get used to the environment. Use the wall. Hold onto the rail and stretch - you can do this with your hands or feet. Don't allow your backside and legs to sink in the water. Use a float if you want to.
Push yourself off the wall. Stretch. Glide through the water. Find your rhythm. Note your weak areas and work on them. Perfect your breathing technique. Practice diving.

Most importantly, have fun.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby b1969 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:24 am

dls wrote:Are you able to say what your difficulty is?

I cannot swim with any sort of rhythm which allows me to exhale under water and catch a breath with a stroke. As I say, breaststroke with underwater exhalation is fine.
b1969

Postby diy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:17 am

sounds like you need to learn to rotate. try to swim without arms and rotate to take air. swimmers don't come up for air they turn on to their sides.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Russell » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks for the offers/advice. I've order some swimming googles, there is no turning back. Will watch some videos and see how it goes. I did want to set an impossible (at this time) goal of swimming a mile. We were talking about how walking a mile is so easy, but swimming a mile is so difficult. I take it once the technique is in place distance becomes much easy?
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby b1969 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:36 am

diy wrote:sounds like you need to learn to rotate. try to swim without arms and rotate to take air. swimmers don't come up for air they turn on to their sides.

I know! I've tried it all - this is my point - I simply can't coordinate. I'm sure if I could practice for hours a day I'd get there, but my life has never given me the luxury of that amount of time. This is why I've decided I need tuition.

Appreciate the suggestions though.
b1969

Postby dls » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 pm

diy is nearly right. Yes the best swimmers rotate to breathe, but that depends to an extent on having achieved enough speed to create a bow wave in which you can breathe. Yes, the less you lift our head the better. Lifting your head adds weight above the water which begins immediately to remove the possiility of being flat in te water. The weight above the water pushes the body (typically bum and legs) down, and also wrecks the streamlining.

First get balance.
Without bothering to breathe get used to pushing off the wall being as long as you can - shoulders pushig arms and hands ahead. The arms are straight, and head down almost with your chin on your chest. You should feel your arms on or behind your ears. Get a good push off and get your legs pointed out straight and stretched behind you - toes pointing straight back. Lean into your chest/ sternum. You do not need to move, beyond a gentle small kicking.
You are doing nothing other than floating in the water. Your task is to relax into the water. When you need to breathe, stand up, and walk back. If you are getting this right, your bum will be at the surface or very near.

Spend a fair amount of time doig this, and do it every time you get to the pool.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Swimming googles, Al? Is this some kind of virtual reality headset?
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to I'm just off to/back from