Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Sharing whatever else you are up to.

Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Postby Russell » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:57 pm

I know we have some (very good) swimmers here. I'd like to learn to swim better and wanted to take private lessons at our local pool. However, the waiting list is a year long :o Is this normal?
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Postby shootist » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:16 pm

My dad taught me to swim. Get a mate. Go swimming with him. Learning to swim is 90% confidence. The other 10% is getting out of that damned sack.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3254
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Postby Russell » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Would be good but I don't know anyone in my area, let alone a swimmer.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Postby atticus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:34 pm

If you can already swim, it's not about ability but fitness and strength (and I'm a fine one to talk).

Go to the pool.do 20 minutes. Then go again. And again.

Go to the pool. Do 30 minutes. Then go again. And again.

Go twice a week.... I think you get the picture.




Mind you, they say that on youtube you can find a video to teach you anything. Just don't get your phone wet.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 18861
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Postby Russell » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm just not a good swimmer, I find it hard to see I'd improve that way. Even lessons at school didn't really get me anywhere. But yes maybe I could and with youtube video as well. Its for exercise anyway and bad swimming is more effort than good swimming. Good thinking :)
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Postby dls » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:13 pm

Feel free to ring / mail me.

I swim about 2.5k a day. It is about technique and persistence and a few practicalstarting points.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
User avatar
dls
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11860
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 pm
Location: Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Re: Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Postby dls » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:18 pm

. . and Boo and 3.14 have both shown swimming skills.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
User avatar
dls
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11860
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 pm
Location: Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Re: Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Postby 3.14 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:00 am

I have a 10-metre pool. I can swim 1km a day but often do much less. What I do is stick my head in the water and swim til I reach the other end without breathing (the front crawl). I then breathe and do it again. I keep going until I get tired. Normally, I rest a few minutes every 100 metres.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom
User avatar
3.14
 
Posts: 2055
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Postby dls » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:36 pm

Atti has it right.

Start by just going, and then stick at it. Many of the benefits are there without acquiring skills. The skills are well worth developing - but take as much time as you need.
There is much good learning available on t'net.

swim.tv
swim skills
total immersion (best first)
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
User avatar
dls
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11860
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 pm
Location: Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Re: Not back from swimming, but would like to be...

Postby diy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:04 am

watch the other swimmers. practice the drills they do and you'll improve. Your speed and distance isn't down to fitness. technique is everything, warm up and stretch after.
My suggestions are not legal advice
User avatar
diy
 
Posts: 2431
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Next

Return to I'm just off to/back from

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron