Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

OOps

Sharing whatever else you are up to.

OOps

Postby dls » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:02 am

David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: OOps

Postby atticus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:19 am

Good luck.

But this is what springs to mind ...
Attachments
image.png
image.png (87.93 KiB) Viewed 447 times
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:46 am

Good stuff.
Has the quarry closed as a quarry, or is this a different bit of it?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:22 pm

Other bits of the quarry are sill working, but it is so huge that you just see lights in the distance climbing the mountain.

It is just over 1.5k in length. The max speed allowed is 119 mph, but since they have to be sure that everyone does get to the other end, the usual speed attained is just a few mph below that.

We had a following wind, so we had small flags on the harness to slow us down. The ride itself is very smooth. You are going so fast that you do not (thank goodness) get a huge chance to appreciate your surroundings.
The most difficult bit is standing at the top where the imagination vertigo and anticipation goes a bit wild.

when you start you have to climb into a press up position with hands either side of a hole in the platform, with your head hanging out over a hundred metres of cliff face. I only worked out later that you were already hooked up by then. You are face down in a harness with your hand extended behind you holding onto the harness by your thighs.
As you hang there, there is a great jump on the wire as the weight of your predecessor is removed in the distance.
You go, and the first part is a steep descent gathering speed quickly. As you begin to curve forward, you pass over a coll and out over the lake. At this point you really are a flying high and fast.

As you come in, you are told at what point you need to stick your arms out as a windbrake.

Before you get on the velocity one, you have a go on one where the max speed is about 35 mph. It helps to have gone through the routine first. The drive to the top of the quarry takes about twenty minutes.

The whole thing takes about an hour and a half, of which time only about three minutes are flying. It is well run, and I suspect that the site undersells itself a little.
dls
Site Admin

Postby miner » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:25 pm

It sounds like a great and unforgettable experience!
miner

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:30 pm

Matthew has a pretty good slope there: is he filled with inspiration?
Hairyloon

Postby dls » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:00 am

He does indeed have a good slope, but it is convex largely. There is always room for another kind of attraction, but it would take a lot to compete directly - the entire farm would I think fit in the lake you fly over half way.

Matthew went down also.
dls
Site Admin

Postby Boo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:06 pm

Pretty view of the lake.

Did you proudly wear your underpants over your tights?
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:00 pm

dls wrote:He does indeed have a good slope, but it is convex largely. There is always room for another kind of attraction, but it would take a lot to compete directly - the entire farm would I think fit in the lake you fly over half way.

I was thinking an added attraction for the happy campers, the kids and the occasional passing grandpa... A modest one is easy enough to set up: we used to do one at Scout camp.

Matthew went down also.

I should hope that he did.
Hairyloon

Postby Mrhilter » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:50 am

Take a scenic tour of a glorious Welsh gravel pit.
Mrhilter

Return to I'm just off to/back from