Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

staring at the Moon

Sharing whatever else you are up to.

Re: staring at the Moon

Postby atticus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:05 pm

That cannot be right. The eclipse happened at the same time everywhere in the world. It was caused by the Earth passing directly between the Sun and the Moon.

Given the distance, the moon can often be seen in the sky at the same time from both Chile and UK*. It will, however, be in different parts of the sky.

*not always. If it is low in the east in the UK night sky, it won't be visible in Chile.
atticus

Postby 3.14 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:19 pm

atticus wrote:That cannot be right. The eclipse happened at the same time everywhere in the world. It was caused by the Earth passing directly between the Sun and the Moon.

Given the distance, the moon can often be seen in the sky at the same time from both Chile and UK*. It will, however, be in different parts of the sky.

*not always. If it is low in the east in the UK night sky, it won't be visible in Chile.

I think you are correct.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby dls » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Given the distance, the moon can often be seen in the sky at the same time from both Chile and UK

Anyone got the geometry for this? I suppose what may be true for one end of Chile might not be true for the other.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:03 pm

dls - 3.14 and I both took photos of the same parts of the lunar eclipse. That only happened once, as the Earth passed directly between Sun and Moon. We saw the same thing, at the same time. Santiago is 77 degrees west, i.e. less than a quarter of the way around the globe from the UK. Given the distance from the Earth to the Moon (which is about 30 times the diameter of the earth), and that the Moon's orbit is approximately on the plane of the Earth's Equator, latitude is of minor significance: it is possible for the moon to be in a position where it may be seen from both countries at the same time.

See this, which contains a map showing where the eclipse was visible - http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/luna ... ptember-28

Click and view the animation on that page.
atticus

Postby dls » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:45 am

Thank you.

Persuaded
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Previous

Return to I'm just off to/back from