Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

unrepresented other side

Family Law, Children, Adoption

unrepresented other side

Postby diy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:51 pm

A friend of mine is going through what he describes as an amicable divorce. He's been with his wife for 12+ years and there are kids in the package too. He's the primary bread winner and makes about 3-4 times more than his wife. She has appointed a solicitor, he doesn't see the need as its just more dipping in the pot as he puts it.

Surely his wife's solicitor will spot the weakness and take the pee? Or is this all pretty straight forward stuff?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Re: unrepresented other side

Postby atticus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:12 pm

What is the weakness that you think is there to spot? In what way is there "pee" to be taken? This is about a fair allocation of available resources, including provision for the children.

Bear in mind that in many cases while the husband has been earning good money, the wife has been bringing up the children, with consequent impact on her earning ability.

I would suggest to your mate that he should invest in a consultation, to help him understand the process, even if he then decides to handle things himself.
atticus

Postby diy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:59 pm

I'd expect a lawyer knowing the other side has no experience of the subject to push for a better deal for her client, greater attachment of future earnings bigger share of the pension, more of the assets etc. I'd expect his representative to help him get as close to a clean break as possible. IMO you DIY the divorce, working together to work it out or you both get representation.

I'd not do battle with a lawyer on a subject I was knowledgable on, let alone a subject I knew little about. All skilled lawyers have the ability to make their proposals sound reasonable and fair, even when they are robbing you on behalf of their client.
diy

Postby atticus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:21 pm

Is the wife's lawyer a member of Resolution?
atticus

Postby dls » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:19 am

Good suggestion, but he cannot control which lawyer his wife chooses, and I did in the dim and distant past come across several members of that organisation whose approach was usually in deep contrast to its stated aims, and I came across many who happily practised its principles without the folderol of membership.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:49 am

I do not suggest that diy or his mate should control his mate's soon to be ex wife's choice of lawyer.
atticus

Postby diy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:28 pm

thanks for the link.. and the comments.
diy

Return to Family Law