Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Interesting case

Family Law, Children, Adoption

Interesting case

Postby 3.14 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:42 pm

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... evolution/
Judge to Divorced Jewish Dad: You Were Wrong to Go to a Museum and Expose Your Child to Evolution

A divorced couple from west London, who are sharing custody of their children, got into a huge fight after the father exposed his kids to reality.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Re: Interesting case

Postby atticus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:10 pm

atticus

Postby shootist » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:13 pm

Very interesting indeed. It seems to confirm the right of knobheads to remain secure in their knobheadery. Looking at the world at large, though, this would seem to be pretty much an established right already. Exposing people, and especially children, to alternative ideas and concepts is always treading very near a dangerous edge.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby dls » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:42 pm

Not quite an unbiased representation.

A judge as such operates within civil law and a party is subject to his jurisdiction with or without consent.

A Beth Din operates _only_ if both parties explicitly agree to its jurisdiction and to the operation for the purposes of making any decision within the rules of that religion. It is a viluntary decision to submit oneself to a judgment made on grounds of religion.

The Beth Din then works as an arbitrator, not as a court, and the dayanim are not quite judges or pretending to be such, just as civil arbitrators know that they are arbitrators not judges.

The opinion is indeed a shocking one, or it would be if teh parties had not specifically requested a religious ruling.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:06 pm

This is not a judgment of a Beth Din. This is a judgment of the West London Family Court. The court seems to have heard evidence on religious matters from a Head Judge of a Beth Din, but this is not a religious ruling.

I accept that the position of the court is a delicate, not to say an impossible one. Clearly there's a need for the family to be accepted within their community, and for them to have the support of their wider family. But - and this I find more troubling - this means the daughter specifically being brought up not to have the life chances that she might otherwise have had, and for both children not to be exposed to the wider world in a way that might enable them to make their own minds up. That it might be considered unacceptable to expose a child to anything which mentions the theory of evolution by natural selection is remarkable. That theory is part of the National Curriculum. I find it terribly sad that young minds might be closed to it.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby shootist » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:12 pm

I have seen some arguments to the effect that the theory of evolution is no less a believe system than what is written in Genesis. It makes no difference IMO. What matters is to teach the existence of rational alternatives to a religion. It is undeniable that some religions are treated better than others by the law. Thugee is a good example.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby 3.14 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:53 pm

shootist wrote:I have seen some arguments to the effect that the theory of evolution is no less a believe system than what is written in Genesis.
Evolution is fact! Any other conclusion is, frankly, astonishing!
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:16 pm

3.14 wrote:
shootist wrote:I have seen some arguments to the effect that the theory of evolution is no less a believe system than what is written in Genesis.
Evolution is fact! Any other conclusion is, frankly, astonishing!

We're in the post fact era now.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Hairyloon wrote:We're in the post fact era now.

You've hit there one of the two current expressions that really grip my s**t! An entirely meaningless expression intended to make the speaker appear worldly wise and witty. (No reflection upon Hairy, it's an easy trap to fall into.) The other is 'populist' which contains the very essence of the utter contempt with which self styled liberal intellectuals regard ordinary people.
shootist

Postby atticus » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:28 pm

There you go again, abusing the word 'liberal'.
atticus

Next

Return to Family Law