Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

The Historic Child Abuse Inquiry

Family Law, Children, Adoption

The Historic Child Abuse Inquiry

Postby dls » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:44 pm

. have today lost their eighth senior law team member. This does not include the three lawyers who have left as chair of the Inquiry.

Some natural wastage is obviously natural, and some departures will be for perfectly proper reasons, but that number seems well above what can be explained without assuming something fundamentally wrong.

If you want to know what might be fundamentally wrong with such an endeavour was demonstrated yet again by a Labour MP spokeswoman. She virtually said in words that the first task of such an enquiry is to retain the confidence of the 'victims and survivors'. This latter phrase was repeated by the PM during PM questions.

This is sufficient explanation of where it is going wrong. To describe the complainants as 'victims and survivors' begs the very question being asked about all this - did the abuse take place. 'Keeping the confidence' of the victim groups clearly suggests that this enquiry will only have one acceptable answer.

If that is the case, then it tends to explain why it should be that those brought in whose professional skill is exactly to look for the truth, should find the context a particularly difficult one.

The task of such an Inquiry is to seek out and pronounce the truth so far as it can. It is horrible nonsense to allow that only one answer is acceptable.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: The Historic Child Abuse Inquiry

Postby diy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:57 pm

I'm sure it could be done for less money if that is the result they want.

My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby dls » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:25 pm

So now we have a call from Chuka Umunna for the chair to resign - I have not yet seen why.

The reality is that many children suffered great misery whilst in our care (whether Lambeth Claderdale or otherwise). I am happy to say that. That pain does not ease rapidly. It is proper and due for those who suffered still to be angry. I however am not seeking to establish the exact truth. I am free to allow that a complainant is very likely a victim. If I were an independent inquiry I could not properly say or do anything to suggest any conclusion.

There is a direct conflict between having 'victims' as people who must have some special place in the inquiry, and I just cannot for the life of me see how they can hold a special behind the scenes position advising the inquiry. It is wrong.
dls
Site Admin

Postby dls » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:46 pm

Just noticed that the Victims' Group now disassociating itself from the Inquiry has also announced that it will not now hand over its own evidence to the Inquiry.

If any demonstration of the wring headedness of it all was required, this demonstrates it. What the hell are they doing not having handed all such material over to the Inquiry many months ago. What the hell has the inquiry been doing not publicly demanding such material.

The obvious explanation is that the inquiry has allowed itself to be lead by the nose by the victims under the exact threat now implemented by the victims - exactly the 'rather coded 'lack of leadership' complained of by the lawyers leaving in droves.

Please someone tell me I am wrong.
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:49 pm

What exactly is this enquiry trying top prove? Nobody can possibly doubt that many, many children were abused while in care of the council, by religious minister, by 'celebs' by policemen even, and that the police response was nothing short of pathetic, the social services even more so. We know this. Anyone that can read knows this. It's like demanding a public enquiry to find out what day of the week Thursday falls on. Neither is such an enquiry going to prove who did what to who and when. It seems like there is a parade of victims who want nothing more that to parade their victim status and, no doubt, be awarded a nice round figure in compensation. The drive to achieve victim status seem to be, for some people, a life's work.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:35 pm

shootist wrote:What exactly is this enquiry trying top prove?

https://www.iicsa.org.uk/terms-reference
atticus

Postby dls » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:40 pm

It seems like there is a parade of victims who want nothing more that to parade their victim status and, no doubt, be awarded a nice round figure in compensation. The drive to achieve victim status seem to be, for some people, a life's work.

Over expressed. It is right to acknowledge the depth of the effect such abuse can create, and not to underestimate the proper need for the reassurance of others recognising and satisfying that need. My problem is not with the victim groups, but with the weakness of those in power who have failed to take the responsibility to do things correctly. The victims groups are led by people who are still wounded. They are entitled to demand all sorts. We have to see that to deliver what they need, we cannot give in to all those demands.
dls
Site Admin

Return to Family Law