Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Nasty Seperation

Family Law, Children, Adoption

Re: Nasty Seperation

Postby diy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:36 pm

I was a private LL in a similar situation a while back, renting to a couple. She fell pregnant and he did a runner. My T fell behind on rent and got the same advice as Boo's post potentially putting me to great expense. In the end her parents stepped in and she moved back in with them and eventually found her feet. We remain on good terms and I did a reference for her a few years later.

be careful about appearing to have a plan that works nicely for your gf and her and your kids and dumps the ex out on her a*rse. you do have to walk in her shoes too. particularly if you plan to eventually settle all this as best you can for all involved.

Your landlord is about to learn how expensive this situation can get, but assuming a typical joint Tenantcy, He can come after you for all his costs as you are likely liable for her failure to comply with the terms.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Boo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:15 pm

atticus wrote:I don't think it will help if Bary does anything to jeopardise his kids' present housing. Yes, you are right, Boo, but how will this play out for Bary in the process that is to come?

Bary and Mrs Bary have to work out what's best for all involved. But he's up against a pissed Mrs Bary. Who is possibly not in the right frame of mind for rational thought right now.
There's a parenting plan that Bary can look at http://www.splittingup-putkidsfirst.org.uk/home - But Bary, you need to think carefully about what you can offer your kids while you're living at your gf's accommodation. Will your gf mind your kids coming to stay at the weekends? Are you going to have kids with your gf etc?
Don't make decisions in haste.

And what of the neglect that you spoke of? If children's services are sniffing at the door they'll want to be involved...in everything!
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Boo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:16 pm

diy wrote:be careful about appearing to have a plan that works nicely for your gf and her and your kids and dumps the ex out on her a*rse. you do have to walk in her shoes too. particularly if you plan to eventually settle all this as best you can for all involved.

^ This.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Previous

Return to Family Law