Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Going home to die...

Family Law, Children, Adoption

Going home to die...

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:36 am

I've been asked to sign a petition about the lad with Mitochondrial Depletion Syndrome and whether he should be allowed to die at home rather than in hospital.
Perhaps not a legal question, but I was moved to want to discuss the issues.

My first thought is of why the hospital won't let him go home: my guess is that they suspect the parents will whisk him off to America for the treatment they have been wanting. They may be right, but is that proper grounds to refuse?

I am also moved to wonder why, if the treatment they want is "a non-invasive and oral medication", then why can't they send the medicine here? Even if the doctor has to come along to administer it (perhaps he doesn't want to).
Not that I am persuaded that the medicine is likely to be effective, but I am baffled as to how it could make things worse except by giving the parents false hope.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Going home to die...

Postby atticus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:25 am

I have not read any of the several judgments; nor, I suspect, has the OP.

Does anyone know whether the child is a ward of court or similar?
atticus

Postby dls » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:42 am

I think it may be simple. The child may be in pain which can be properly controlled only at the hospital.

These situations can be impossible to get right. It takes real courage for parents to accept the truth.
The view is that the treatment is not going to assist, and in the meantime a child continues his life in very real discomfort.

This has been assessed with the greatest of care by the doctors involved - no doubt with external opinions, and by courts at several levels all the way to the ECHR. They have, as one, and with only the greatest reluctance come to a terrible conclusion.
The parents deserve the fullest support, but to the extent that they have rejected any view contrary to their own, I have to question their judgment.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:50 am

atticus wrote:I have not read any of the several judgments; nor, I suspect, has the OP.

I have not, and am not questioning them.

Does anyone know whether the child is a ward of court or similar?

That was the impression I got from the petition blurb:

Throughout the legal battle, Connie and Chris were stripped of their parental rights, which not only prevents them from taking Charlie to America to receive a last option of treatment, but it also blocks them from making any future decisions for their child.

dls wrote:The parents deserve the fullest support, but to the extent that they have rejected any view contrary to their own, I have to question their judgment.

This is why I have not signed the petition.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:27 am

There appears to be a problem here that whoever wrote the petition does not understand the full decision of the courts, or the reasons for those decisions.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:15 pm

One might argue that a purpose of the petition is to give the parents moral support: it may succeed at that.
Hairyloon

Postby Russell » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:19 pm

This is a case of emotion over practicality. I hate to say it but I believe the parents are being selfish. The childs QOL is the factor here, and going to america or going home to die are not going to help the child.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Return to Family Law